Talk

Advanced search

How did your ds/dd react the first time in a swimming pool?

(26 Posts)
juicychops Mon 06-Jun-05 19:19:56

Im taking ds swimming next week and just wondered what to expect

hana Mon 06-Jun-05 19:25:23

hey again!
make sure you're not in too long, they get v cold quickly, have big wawrm towel with you on the deck to wrap them up in and chanage him first when you get out of the pool. Have fun! And maybe a snack to have when you're both changed

hadenandmum Mon 06-Jun-05 19:26:05

My little boy loves it!! I bought floatation devices but he didn't want them. He loves the reflections. Keep tight hold! I helps him sleep too! Such fun. Keep me posted!! Get changed yourself first.. then ds. And when coming out change ds first then you.

Enid Mon 06-Jun-05 19:26:23

dd1 freaked big style

but now is amazing swimmer

dd2 loved it but I didnt take her till she was 6 months or so. Feel sorry for tiny babies in the pool, dont know why, just dont like it

jessicasmummy Mon 06-Jun-05 19:27:43

dd loved it. she was about 10 weeks old when we first took her.... only lasted 15 minutes in the pool, but she is now at the stage where she cries when we get out (10 months old)

totally agree with what the others have said re getting changed.

build it up gradually and you will be fine!

lapsedrunner Mon 06-Jun-05 19:30:22

Loved it as a baby, very nervous from about 1.5 to 2.5 and now loves it at 2.8.

Whizzz Mon 06-Jun-05 19:33:07

I'm only just recovering from our first trip. DH took him in whilst I watched from the viewing area. DS who was 4 changed before DH & sneaked in to the pool area - saw his pal from nursery in the pool & promptly jumped in ! Luckily it was only the training pool & not deep. But it seemed like an age before DH appeared. His pals dad 'rescued' him as the 2 lifeguards were too busy chatting to notice ! I was in such a state being able to watch but not do anything - i was shaking like a leaf for ages afterwadrs. It took both of us to coax him back to the pool a week later. He's fine now though

Hausfrau Mon 06-Jun-05 19:36:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eve Mon 06-Jun-05 19:52:27

Screamed...and clung on like a limpit, but is a real water baby now and loves it!

Bring some food/feed/milk for when you get out and a big towel for you as you will be freezing in a dripping cossie by the time you dress/warm him before you dress yourself.

biglips Mon 06-Jun-05 20:23:29

my 8 months old baba loves it as was in the water for nearly an hour (till she cried as she was knackered) and all she did was splashing and pattering the water (awwww!) but i had loads of 8 yrs old following us around !! asking what her name, etc..... (go away!)

snafu Mon 06-Jun-05 20:24:12

Screeeeeeeeamed.

Nemo1977 Mon 06-Jun-05 20:25:49

i took ds at around 6mths...he loved it although he did get cold after about 15mins. ds adores water generally although i will admit to not taking him over the winter but am going back from next week..lol

Magscat Mon 06-Jun-05 20:37:16

Agree with all the advice about checking baby doesn't get cold. They get tired quickly too - I reckon 15-20 mins is plenty if only a few months old.
Also be prepared to just sit/stand in the water & cuddle rather than actually moving baby about in the water much. I find it depends hugely on whether they are tired/hungry or not. My dd seems ready for anything when rested but freaks really easily when tired. Otherwise though, she seems to like it.

DS always liked it apart from one pool that had a wave machine - definate no no for him when he was tiny. Good luck

PS - watch out for the showers - I always thoguht it was important to get the chlorine off but the showers in our local pool are way too hot for little ones and I think DS has been put off showers for life by them.

nell12 Mon 06-Jun-05 20:55:25

DD went in at about 10 wks and loved it but clung on like a limpet. We had one of those floaty-seat thingys for DS at same age but gave up on it pretty quickly as he got v cold with the upper part of his body always out of the water. At least if you are cuddling them, they can keep warm from you. If poss, go to a toddler pool as the water is warmer and baby will not be overwhelmed by the scale of things. Take a warm outfit that you can dress them in as fast as possible afterwards(fleecy babygro?) and enjoy the long nap they will have afterwards!

dinny Mon 06-Jun-05 21:00:59

did baby swimming from 3 months - used to dunk dd under and she'd swim. she loved it (I think) feel bit guilty about it now but she is a fab swimmer now - 3 years old and can swim without any aids.

vess Tue 07-Jun-05 04:58:16

Dinny, how did you do the under water thing? DD has been since she was 2 months and loves it - if I hold her on her tummy and support her head, she makes swimming movements with her arms and legs, seems to come naturally to her.
She's now nearly 3 months and I'm wandering whether I should let her go under water, but am a bit scared.

eidsvold Tue 07-Jun-05 06:17:29

dd1 - loved it - she was about 8 months old the first time. Dd2 has not been in a pool yet.

dinny Tue 07-Jun-05 19:39:00

Vess, went to baby swimming classes. Have some fab pics of dd swimming under water when about 6 months - like the Nirvana album cover. My classes were in London - they do them everywhere now.

dinny Tue 07-Jun-05 19:39:50

Don't think it's something to do without expert guidence, btw

MarsLady Tue 07-Jun-05 19:41:16

DD2 screamed blue murder. The pool emptied in 15 secs. I kid you not. She screamed each week for 4 weeks. Less time each week. Then she started laughing and screamed when she got out. Just can't win. lol

SoupDragon Tue 07-Jun-05 19:43:13

Both DSs loved it.

vess Tue 07-Jun-05 20:29:08

Thanks, Dinny! But what is it that you actually do with them at swimming lessons?
I think they start from 6 months, she's not old enough yet. But I did it today - let her go under water briefly, she was ok with it!
Ds went at 8 months first, happy but clingy; didn't go again until he was about 1 and a half. Only really started enjoying it when able to swim and float on his own with armbands, around the age of 2. The pool we went to then was a bit cold and I hated that.

dinny Tue 07-Jun-05 20:37:02

Mine started at 3 months - first few lessons you dunk them under and then let go! very scary but dd seemed to love it.

Tissy Tue 07-Jun-05 20:38:19

dd was about 6 months old, and clung to me like a limpet, screamed and screamed. Should have persevered, but it put me off for a year or so. Next time she was fine after a little persuasion, now she's a fish!

Lizzylou Tue 07-Jun-05 20:57:11

DS was about 4 mths, he loved it, went again a few times but then he went once and kept drinking the water off his "seat" and then got a chest infection...which put me off!!! We are going again next week.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now