Talk

Advanced search

Introducing formula at 7 months??

(5 Posts)
Lois2 Wed 23-Sep-09 13:31:35

Has anyone tried to introduce formula at 7 months? I've been breastfeeding and would really like to phase in some formula but have I left it too late? Also, I used to express and feed DS1 from a bottle but I haven't done it for a while and I'm worried he won't go for a bottle any more ... any thoughts would be great!

nondomesticgoddess Wed 23-Sep-09 13:39:06

If your baby doesn't take to the formula straight away, you could try mixing it with some expressed milk and over time, gradually adjusting the proportions until it is all formula.

Dd was a nightmare taking a bottle so I'm afraid I can't help so much with that one! You could try a cup instead (didn't work for us but works for others).

hambo Wed 23-Sep-09 13:42:39

I did this and he just guzzled away! Make sure it is nice and warm. You might have to try a few different bottles (eg I don't think Avent ones ae much good although others will diagree!!)

I bet he will be fine.

Good luck

LackingNicknameInspiration Wed 23-Sep-09 14:26:57

I switched DD to one formula bottle at 7 months. She'd taken a bottle with EBM before that, so no problem with the bottle - but would NOT take formula from me. Had to get my friend (her godmother) to do it for me in the end and go completely out of the room - there was much protest but it worked eventually. Felt slightly mean but on the plus side, she then decided to stop breastfeeding when 9 months, I think because she couldn't be bothered waiting for let down when the bottle was so much quicker - so at least stopping BF completely was easy for both of us.

Hope that helps¬

rocketupbum Wed 23-Sep-09 20:35:01

I also changed from BF to FF at about 7 mnths. DD was not keen to swap at all! In the end I am afraid we did the old cold turkey and she eventually took the 3rd bottle of the day. No probs from then on.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now