Talk

Advanced search

Pooing in Bath

(14 Posts)
CookieDoughIcecream Tue 22-Sep-09 21:39:37

My friends 12mth old DS is pooing in the bath almost everynight at the moment. One night they resorted to holding him over the toilet one night as they could see he was about to do a poo.
Any idea why he is doing this and how to prevent it would be gratefully recieved!

PacificDogwood Tue 22-Sep-09 21:43:17

Same here, Cookie, every blardy night! I blame the warm water being too relaxing. DS3 is 18 months (today, yeah!) and DSs1 and 2 have perfected the "poo alert" war cry and the orderly evacuation of the bath.
It is a mess and all I can offer you is sympathetic support. I have no idea what to do to stop it - maybe no more dinner, ever wink?
I keep reminding myself that he is very unlikely to still be doing it when he is 16, lol. Will follow this thread with interest.
smile

CybilLiberty Tue 22-Sep-09 21:43:57

Two words:

Shrimp Net

LovelyDear Tue 22-Sep-09 21:45:29

I thought you meant Bath the city. Where I'm sure it's acceptable to poo, as long as it's in the appropriate facilities.

My dd only ever once pooed in the bath. i think she was so shocked by her brother's reaction she never contemplated it again!

janeite Tue 22-Sep-09 21:46:14

pmsl at the capital 'B' - I thought it was about public loos in the great city itself!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 22-Sep-09 21:46:22

You can't really prevent it - it is normal. The warm water relaxes the sphincter. Only thing to do really is change the bath to a different time of day when he is less likely to do a poo.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 22-Sep-09 21:46:51

Ds2 went through a phase of this at around 12months (has thankfully passed now, 7 months on).

My strategy for coping was to change from daily baths to baths on alternate days and to use swimming nappies for baths.

PacificDogwood Tue 22-Sep-09 21:48:21

LOL @ "Bath" - see, I am so clued in to the whole "poo in bath" ishoo, Bath the city did not even occur to me.
And, yes, shrimp net: we use old (decommissioned, natch!) tea strainer blush..

bananabrain Tue 22-Sep-09 22:37:32

DS2 who is 2 did this a couple of nights ago, DS1 wasn't impressed so yesterday said to him as they got into the bath - "if you need a poo say i need a poo, ok!"
Have only ever had it occasionally tho with either of them, so can't offer advice I'm afraid.

FernieB Wed 23-Sep-09 08:28:42

Mine did this from time to time at that age. I never worried about it. It's just one of those things. When they're still in nappies, they just 'go' when they need to! If it's happening at the same time every night, try moving bathtime. Otherwise, just go with the flow

nondomesticgoddess Wed 23-Sep-09 13:35:27

Dd did this all the time. We had to watch her face like a hawk and at the first sign of redness we would whip her out and hold her over the loo. We didn't get there in time on many, many occasions! It is very tedious and as a result dd got bathed far less often!

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 23-Sep-09 13:37:04

Ha ha! Thought the same -- re: having a poo in the city grin

Was going to suggest baby changing facilities....

zebramummy Fri 02-Oct-09 10:20:54

save it for Bristol....

BlueberryPancake Fri 02-Oct-09 13:44:30

DS did that for a while... so much that I ended up not giving him a bath! I would sit him in the bath, spray the shower on him, soap him, rinse and out.

For a while, I waited until he'd have a poo and give him a bath right afterwards (sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon). I suppose it's easier because I'm at home with children and very flexible.

He got over it in the end, but it's not until recently that I dared put him in the bath with his brother. I alternated the bath evenings for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now