Talk

Advanced search

BF three week old essentially sleeping through the night- is it a problem?

(17 Posts)
duchesse Tue 22-Sep-09 17:19:53

DD3 is three and a half weeks old. She was in special care for the first four days of her life due to an infection. Whether it was because she was ill or not, she hardly woke at night in scbu to feed, and ended up being tube fed every three hours through her tube. After a couple of unsettled days in the transitional ward, we brought her home, and she has basically stuck to the same schedule since then, bar a couple of unsettled nights when I'd had the evil coffee earlier in the day.

I feed her for ever between 8pm and 10pm after her bath. She tends to drop off to sleep at about 10, I go to sleep straight after her feed, which I do in bed, and she will not wake again for a feed until about 3 or 4. She goes back to sleep straight after her feed and sleeps again until 6 or 7.

I'm not complaining, and certainly not trying to jinx it, and given her siblings' records I'm not even expecting it to last (please please do last though), I'm just wondering if at less than 8lbs in weight I should be waking her to feed? She is getting massive amounts of wee overnight but usually waits till morning and being awake to do a poo, so I don't feel I need to change her in the night. She is otherwise bright and alert, not dehydrated or anything. Very smiley in the mornings as well.

She usually seemed to sleep when I slept in utero as well- never moved much during the night or kept me awake. I wonder if she just arrived with a preset sleep pattern.

CarGirl Tue 22-Sep-09 17:23:21

So the longest she goes is 5-6 hours? I guess as long is she is bright, alert and gaining weight then it sould be okay?

Is she feeding frequently during the day too?

I know nothing just a mum who had babies who slept well at night but they were all huge birthweights!

clumsymum Tue 22-Sep-09 17:23:42

Blimey you are blessed.

I can't see this as a prob tbh, I mean, she feeds (well) until 10 p.m., then wakes again by 4 a.m., so that's only 6 hours at most, isn't it?, Then waking again for a feed 3 hours later?

Nah, rejoice in your blessing.

duchesse Tue 22-Sep-09 17:25:44

Yes, she's feeding every 2-3 hours in the daytime, then has a monster feed after her bath, then out for the count until 3 or 4. She was 7 lbs 6 at birth, is less than 8 now, but she still seems to be able to put away 100ml at a go (she had two bottles of ebm on Sunday, which is how I know how much...)

lynniep Tue 22-Sep-09 17:26:09

a problem - no - a miracle smile

its not like shes not feeding during the night - as you say - she is having a feed about 3 or 4 - and just going back to sleep.

I think your just lucky! I have a friend who has a very sleepy baby - he was 3.5 weeks prem, but he's now about 10 weeks old and still pretty much sleeps all the time and like your DD does a full night with just one feed.

I can only hope I get this when DS2 arrives, cos DS1 was horrendous at sleeping (DS1 was also in SCBU but he was sedated so I think he just made up for it when he got home!)

Horton Tue 22-Sep-09 17:32:19

I had a very sleepy newborn, too. She used to feed about five or six times in a four hour period before bedtime and then zonk out for about six or seven hours. It was bloody great (and she was fine, just unnaturally and worryingly sensible). Sadly it wore off after a few months and she was feeding at least twice a night for the next 14 months or so.

ib Tue 22-Sep-09 17:37:11

I had this with ds - sad to say, it was a mistake to let him sleep. He wasn't feeding enough or gaining enough, and my milk didn't establish properly, which meant I had to go through the whole relactation thing, which was very painful.

If the one I'm expecting now sleeps too much early on, I shall be religiously waking him/her up every 3 hours maximum.

bigchris Tue 22-Sep-09 17:39:36

I think it sounds fine too
Enjoy it while it lasts wink
My mum had four of us and 2 of us were in scbu
she said the 2 that were in scbu slept brillinalty because the nurses had them on a very good routine of feeds every 4 hours
the other two not so much!

duchesse Tue 22-Sep-09 20:30:01

Horton- that's what I'm afraid of... smile

opinionatedmother Tue 22-Sep-09 21:00:51

feeding two hours straight then sleepng 5-6 hours is exactly what DS did from newborn - 12 weeks. it was great - plenty of time to recharge after annoying evening feeding frenzy. he is a chubby little spudger and no mistake.

plenty wet nappies = no probs?

duchesse Tue 22-Sep-09 21:36:44

That's very reassuring opi.

Bug is in the middle of her monster feed at the moment.

duchesse Tue 22-Sep-09 21:37:00

Ewe Tue 22-Sep-09 21:39:09

My DD spent just over a week in SCBU too and slept through the night from her first night home, no problem at all I was told! Think the nurses just get them in a good routine.

My DD did have a non sleeping patch of about 6 weeks but apart from that always been a good sleeper!

duchesse Tue 22-Sep-09 21:39:09

opinionatedmother Tue 22-Sep-09 21:44:38

god its annoying isn't it...good that it's easy enough to read whilst they're norkelling.

i think it takes alot of energy to feed like that & it really knocks them out.

LynetteScavo Tue 22-Sep-09 21:44:41

This is exactly what DS2 did.

Soounds normal to me.

aoifesmama Tue 22-Sep-09 22:03:31

Sounds FANTABULOUS!! Enjoy it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now