Talk

Advanced search

3 year old who has her own language and likes to scream at people!

(7 Posts)
fluffybunnyfeet Mon 06-Jun-05 14:12:08

Hi does anyone have any help or advice for me please? I have a three and a half year old who speaks a language all her own. She can talk but not as clearly or advanced as other children her age i.e from her pre-school. Also she has always screamed at just about anyone. When we are out if we bump in to her pre-school teacher she will scream at her but when she is in the classroom she is fine. She screamed at dh mother for ages (but I felt like that to). The way we got around that was to get dh mum to give her a present and after that she was fine. She is due to go up to nursery September and I don't know what to do. The pre-school have said that it might be an idea to keep her back until her speech has improved but I am not happy about this because all her little friends are going up. If it is a security issue with some of it then I feel not having her usual peers around her may cause more problems. I am going to see the health visitor tomorrow and get little one checked over for hearing etc basic MOT. Has anyone else experienced this or any advice would be brilliant thanks

RnB Mon 06-Jun-05 15:15:21

Message withdrawn

holynight Mon 06-Jun-05 16:06:21

Hi,my ds is 4 in august and like your dd has his own language and is very expressive with his hands when trying to tell us something.He has seen a speech therapist twice and had his hearing tested which which was fine.
The speech therapist wants a second opinion so we are waiting which will not be until septembet due to waiting lists.
It will be good for youto see your HV and see what she suggests.
I often think with my ds when he screams it may be frustration at not being able to get out what he wants to say.
My ds should be going to school in september and we are having a meeting with thwe school tomorrow to discuss our options to see weather we shoud delay until january.

Let me know how you get on with your HV tomorrow,hope it goes well.

fluffybunnyfeet Mon 06-Jun-05 16:57:58

Thanks ever so much, i feel a lot more positive now. I have started making a point of talking a little slower to ds so she can hear all of the sounds, fingers crossed this will help. I'll keep you all posted and thanks once again much relieved.

Davros Mon 06-Jun-05 18:40:17

It would be nice to keep her with her friends. Maybe it is hearing-related which is why she is less prepared when someone seems to "pop up". good way to get pressies from MIL though My DD has become very clingy and scaredy and she has got glue ear, maybe things are more scarey when you're less able to anticipate them? We visited her cousin last week and DD has been horrible with her recently, won't play with her or relax with her, cousin's new kitten solved the problem!

fluffybunnyfeet Wed 08-Jun-05 16:30:40

My god I am so depressed V, my dd pre-school have given me her key workers observation notes to show the health visitor tomorrow regarding dd speech and I now feel as if I have completely let dd down. I feel like a c**p mother. I feel like it's all my fault the way dd is. I am going through the did I give dd enough attention as a baby, is she stimulated enough!!! Feel completely destroyed

holynight Wed 08-Jun-05 17:26:23

Hi again.Sorry you are feeling so low.
I can empathise with the way you are feeling.
My ds has now got an appointment for July for a second appointment and we will see what the outcome of that is.
Don't beat yourself up about this,easy for me to say and i do exactly that concerning my ds.
I was told that my ds has a specific problem with forming words with his mouth and this could be something he was born with or heareditry.
So try not to blame yourself and be positive that your HV will be able to point you in the right direction towhat ever help your dd needs,IF ANY.
My dh still thinks our ds will suddenly start to talk when he is ready as his own sister was nearly 4 before she said much and when she did she spoke in sentences.
Let me know how you get on .
I am sure you will getsome other great advice here on mumsnet as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now