Talk

Advanced search

so today I let 8 year old DS go out on his bike without me.....

(13 Posts)
mckenzie Sun 20-Sep-09 21:06:34

This afternoon I went with DS and DD 'round the block'. They were on their bikes, I was jogging to keep up smile. While we were out we met three of DS's school friends, also on their bikes and they joined us. When we went in for dinner, they asked if DS could go back out again and I agreed.

So basically, DS (age 8) and two others from his year and one slightly older lad went twice 'round the block'. We live on a purely residential road and the 'block' means crossing two very minor residential roads, going past a small parade of 5 shops, one of which is a 7-11 type and always open.

DS was wearing his helmet (as he always does) but the other children were not.

Was I right to give him this freedom or was I wrong?

By virtue of the fact that he came back when he was asked and when I spied on him out of the window he did stop properly to cross the road, I'm thinking I did the right thing.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to get some different opinions but I am very interested to hear them all. please.

TIA

UniS Sun 20-Sep-09 21:10:03

You was right.
You have trained him to think before the crosses roads and he was doing just that & you have trained him to come back when he is supposed to,Great.
I'm hoping my lad will be cycling to school on his own at that age, other kids in the village do.

Kirstieallsoppsalterego Sun 20-Sep-09 21:10:06

I think you were absolutely right, and I hope I'll do the same when DS is eight (only six months to go - argh!)

alwayslookingforanswers Sun 20-Sep-09 21:12:55

well I wouldn't let DS1 (9) out on his bike on his own, but that's because he can't actually ride a bike yet.

However, he's been going to the corner shop for me for nearly 2yrs now, 2 small roads to cross, and I let him walk just under a mile to school when we lived further away earlier this year.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Sun 20-Sep-09 21:20:35

You did the right thing. He has proved that by coming in at agreed time and using common sense when crossing the roads.

sandyballs Sun 20-Sep-09 21:23:40

Sounds great. I have two 8 year old DDs who are desperate to do this and I have been considering it.

This has helped grin

mckenzie Sun 20-Sep-09 21:25:05

thanks guys. I wanted to get some back up opinions before I tell DH (he was at work) grin. Here goes.....

junglist1 Sun 20-Sep-09 21:37:33

Of course you're right. 8 year olds have reputations to keep, you know grin

Denny185 Sun 20-Sep-09 21:41:47

I did this with DD (7) during the summer hols, round our close and into the field, no roads to cross. I spent the whole time looking out the window and checking. We have to let go sometime, you can only make sure they are as prepared for it as possible.

PortBlacksandResident Sun 20-Sep-09 21:48:08

DS1 (8) goes 500yrds to the local green on his bike with friends - crossing a very slow residential road.

We have a much faster road which he wants to cross to visit another friend and i am reticent at the mo - i've lost 2 cats on that road and know how irresponsible drivers are even though it entering a village.

dogonpoints Sun 20-Sep-09 21:48:54

of course you were right

piscesmoon Sun 20-Sep-09 21:50:54

You did the right thing-hard though it is you have to start allowing some freedom.

mckenzie Mon 21-Sep-09 12:39:59

thanks for the extra messages..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now