Talk

Advanced search

How can I teach patience!

(6 Posts)
hayleylou Mon 06-Jun-05 07:50:34

I am having real problems with ds who is 2.5yrs. He wants everything right now and keeps saying it over and over again. I have tried asking him to wait and explaining why but it seems to make things worse. Has anyone got any more ideas Sorry abput the spelling!

desperatehousewife Mon 06-Jun-05 07:57:30

I woulnd't mind some paitence teaching for me!

I think patience is something a 2.5 yr old cannot understand - that is the nature of toddlers - want it and want it now. They do not have the power of reasoning or understanding at this age - try not to stress about it too much - mine is nearly 3 and is just beginning to understand that he cant have everything now. Still gets very stroppy though!

suzywong Mon 06-Jun-05 08:02:55

yes, very good point DHW

they only just get it at 4, and the trick is to find some more patience within yourself which is a million times easier said than done

Fran1 Mon 06-Jun-05 08:29:56

My dd is 2.5 and she had a terrible habit of "whining" as you say sh'ed repeat what she wants over and over but her voice would work up to a whine and she'd stamp her feet!

I have calmed this down a bit. when she does it i hold my hand out and say stop stamping your feet and whining - she does - then i say now ask mummy nicely - she does and then i praise her and we get to work on whatever it was she wanted.
I've been doing this a while now and if i she starts to go into a whine, she will often remember half way and stop abruptly and go "mummy please can i .....)

I'm sure its not patience she's learnt, but it certainly stopped the irritating noises that used to get me stressed

Twiglett Mon 06-Jun-05 08:36:01

ha ha ha ha ah hahahah aha hahahahah <manic laughter>

Twiglett Mon 06-Jun-05 08:37:20

Fran have always done that with DS too (as well as using a 'whining step' like a naughty step) .. he's 4 now and I have to say .. it totally works .. I just have to ask him to stop whining or control yourself and he does

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now