Talk

Advanced search

potty training - is this a mistake

(9 Posts)
spanna74 Sat 19-Sep-09 19:43:07

Hello

My DD1 is 2 and a half and not yet potty trained, I had DD2 11 weeks ago and there hasn't been a particularly good time recently. She has seemed to be ready for a while but our previous 2 attempts have been disasterous with her asking to go back in nappies. But recently we have been having spontaneous wees on the loo or potty and she has been wee-ing on the loo at nursery and they tell me all her nappies are dry there as she does all her wees on the loo.

Anyway today she didn't wear a nappy all day and we had a disasterous morning of accidents but this afternoon her last three wees were all on the potty and she was very pleased of herself. Given we have started now I need to continue BUT we go on holiday in two weeks time and I am thinking is it going to be a bit of a tall order to expect her to manage the journey and everything without a nappy but everything I have read says don't put them back in nappies once you have started.

What do you think?

Thanks

Lizzzombie Sat 19-Sep-09 19:47:20

Watching this with interest.
DS, 2.9 was going great with toilet training & pants for last 3 weeks. Then, Thursday afternoon & Friday was a total nightmare. Constant accidents (wee & poo - sorry TMI!) So today I have to admit I put him back in nappies. I let him choose, nappies or pants?
I know its different for boys, and they tend to be later.
But, I also know that every child is different and there is no hard and fast rule.
One mate of mine was not able to toilet train her daughter until she was 3.5 years old.

Best of luck. x

mathanxiety Sat 19-Sep-09 20:36:46

The journey might be very hard on your DD (and you smile) without a nappy, but depending on where you're going, keeping at the training efforts might be the best way to go.

I don't know if there's any perfect time, except maybe summer if it's a fine one, to do potty training. It's a two steps forward and one step back process too, with setbacks to be expected even in the best of circumstances. But everyone gets there in the end smile. The trick is to stay positive and loving even on the poo-filled days. It's worth adopting a no going back attitude and just keeping at it, ime, even if you sometimes feel you're the one being trained, not the DC. You're trying to replace one habit (using the nappy for elimination) with another (interrupting an activity and going to the potty) so constant practice makes the process a bit shorter. It's going to be messy no matter what, though.

Triggles Sat 19-Sep-09 21:28:19

When you go on holiday, can't you just use pull-ups and continue having her use the potty? Then she is still getting to use the potty and not really backsliding, but you have the safety net of the pull-ups just in case.

spanna74 Sun 20-Sep-09 07:17:21

I am just worried Triggles that it will be confusing for her to have a nappy again...as this is our third attempt and i am thinking all this chopping and changing between pants and nappies is confusing her.

I guess I can see how the next two weeks go and then put her in a pull up for the journey and hopefully as a one off it won't be a disaster.

Mathanxiety - our attempts so far have felt like one step forward and two steps back sad but i am going to stick with it this time smile

girlsyearapart Sun 20-Sep-09 07:38:19

We did exactly the same. Dd had been properly potty training for around 2/3 weeks when we went on holiday.

She had been great for wee but not for poo and did one all down her leg and over the travelator just before Majorcan passport control..

THe journey on the way there was in the day so we kept her in knickers on way home we flew after her official bedtime so put her in pjs and pull ups.

It is meant to confuse them to go in and out of nappies so we make sure she only has pull ups on when she has her pjs on. Sometimes she has them for daytime nap but only if in her bed. (not car/pram)

You have to be prepared for accidents (and potential shame!) but you'll get there in the end!

Take spare clothes/placca bags and maybe a towel for her to sit on.

have lovely hols x

Horton Sun 20-Sep-09 07:49:44

Hi, we always use a pull-up on a long journey and it doesn't seem to have confused DD (who is just three). Aeroplanes and any other time where it wouldn't be her fault if we couldn't get to a loo are pull-up time. She has coped fine (and we've only had one wee in a pull-up this summer with six flights to get through when the plane was actually taking off and she just couldn't wait).

GoldenSnitch Sun 20-Sep-09 07:52:03

When DS was stating out on potty training and I was a bit wary of his bladder control in a pushchair/carseat, I used those pampers bed mats to line the seat just in case.

They're made for older children who are night training but they absorb the wee just the same. I just folded one into his car seat so if he went (which he never did) then it was all soaked up.

You still need spare knickers and bottoms but at least it stops your carseat or pushchair getting soaked.

NorkilyChallenged Sun 20-Sep-09 08:32:51

We did this too, started potty training then travelled by plane (just within the UK for a long weekend to visit family). We just said that "nappy pants" (pull-ups) are just for long car journeys/plane journeys and for night-time. She has accepted it completely and actually stayed dry during the journeys anyway so the pull-ups were more for our peace of mind. She's 2.7 by the way.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now