Talk

Advanced search

Toddler WILL NOT sit down in the bath!

(17 Posts)
GreenPenguin Sat 19-Sep-09 10:44:32

Been going on for a couple of months. Anyone else?

tryingtobemarypoppins Sat 19-Sep-09 10:48:28

ummmmmm, not had that experience. Is the temp ok, bum ok?

Northernlurker Sat 19-Sep-09 10:51:55

Mine doesn't always like to sit down. Just wanders up and down. I wash her with a flannel as she stands. What's the problem? They'll sit down eventually and you can get a rubber mat if you're worried about slips.

piscesmoon Sat 19-Sep-09 10:52:56

Ignore and wash standing up. Put lots of toys in and one day he (or she)will want to play and sit down.

FlamingoDuBeke Sat 19-Sep-09 10:57:25

What's the problem?

GreenPenguin Sat 19-Sep-09 11:26:35

No real problem, except it's a bit of a stressy task now. Won't stay still for washing, straining to pull taps, shower curtain, etc. Even though we have toys in bath. And sitting in the bath used to be a great way to clean his grubby mitts,and nails. No problem really - just wondered if others had this too. thanks!

MmeLindt Sat 19-Sep-09 11:28:21

Shower instead. Would that work?

meandjoe Sat 19-Sep-09 11:28:46

ds often stands in the bath, we have a non slip mat in the bottom but he still sometimes falls so I can understand your concern. We basically tell him to sit down which now he understands and often listens. How old is he/she?? If they are very younf then I'd just put loads of toys in like pisces says and try to wash them standing up. Was all that would work with our ds and now he quite likes sitting and laying in the bath but still stands up every few minutes just cos he can!

GreenPenguin Sat 19-Sep-09 11:32:09

meandjoe - that sounds similar and we will probably get to that stage. He's 16 months and only been walking for a couple of months so probably something to do with that.
Mmelindt: our shower is shite, unfortunately!
thanks everyone.

ItsNotOnlyTheGoodBits Sat 19-Sep-09 11:34:35

BabyGoodBits is 3.1 and still stands in the bath. He has done since he was about 10 months, when he first realised he could stand in the bath. He will sit down if he is having a bath with friends, as I tell him he will have to get out if he stands on anyone and also he sees the others sitting down. Once he is on his own again he is back to standing up.

Oddly, over the last couple of months he will sit down once he has pulled the plug out. hmm

I just get on with it - nothing else to do.

ineedalifelaundry Sat 19-Sep-09 11:43:03

My 12 mo dd does this and cruises up and down the bath holding on to sides- I think it's just cos she can! I just get on with task. Yes it would be easier if she'd sit still but we manage ok. Sometimes she does sit if a toy takes her interest enough, or if I say "let's do splashing" she sits and splashes the water with hands.

squeaver Sat 19-Sep-09 11:46:32

If it's really bothering you, you could do

1. Please sit down

2. Please sit down or you will have to come out of the bath

3. Please sit down, this is the last time I'm telling you

4. Take him out of the bath.

You'll have screams for a couple of nights, then he'll do it.

But I agree with the toys strategy

PacificDogwood Sat 19-Sep-09 11:50:05

DS3 has never sat down in the bath, he is now 18 months, aaaargh! He is now old enough to understand when we say "sit down" and he will crouch down on his haunches, giggle at us, und come back up again, wee monster!
He is usually in the bath with his 2 older brothers either side of him. Hairwashing however is a challange!!

mooki Sat 19-Sep-09 20:47:41

I got a bath mat with ducks on. Seemed to help.

Plonker Sat 19-Sep-09 20:50:24

All my dd's have been through this stage.

I just bought a long bath mat and waited for the phase to pass. Probably not very helpful though eh? grin

spanna74 Sun 20-Sep-09 08:28:20

We have had this too several times over the last two and a half years, I have just done quick flannel standing up wash and waited for it to pass, normally only been a week or so.....

pushkar Sun 20-Sep-09 08:44:51

non slip bath mat may help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now