Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

13 month old reluctant walker, anything i can do to encourage her?

(34 Posts)
mrswill Fri 18-Sep-09 21:54:57

My dd, was quite a late bum shuffler at 11 months, but soon caught up and has been pulling herself up and cruising, power shuffling up the stairs etc.
Shes also getting from sitting to standing without needing to hold onto anything to help, and bending over to get toys. HV says they usually dont do this until they walk, and how unusual it is, blah blah, so has put a bit of the fear of god into me.
I try and hold her hands to walk and she can do it easily, but seems frightened. Is there anyhting i can do to encourage her, has anyone found push along toys help. Have been considering waving a bar of chocolate in her face, as i know that would work for me grin

IdrisTheDragon Fri 18-Sep-09 22:00:55

DS and DD both walked at 15 months. One of them crawled at 8.5 months, cruised at 9 months and then waited 6 months to walk.

The other one did a sort of bottom shuffle at 10.5 months and then gradually got round to walking.

Try not to worry about it - she will do it when she's ready.

cookielove Fri 18-Sep-09 22:02:26

i wouldn't be worried she's only 13 months, sometimes they just need to get over the fear, and then they just suddenly go, we had a child at nursery who would hold hands and walk and stand there for ages but would not walk without a hand, although she was barely holding on, she just need the security, she was 18 months ish when she just got up one day and started walking around the room.

We often stand the children up, but not holding there hands, get them steady and then take a step back, with are arms stretched towards them, which they could quite easily grab, and encourage them to walk with lots and lots of excitement and big cuddles when they take a step, and then repeat stepping back as they take steps towards u, although this can be done sitting down to, holding them an arms length away and repeating.

hth

TwoManyFallsAndYouGetABadScore Fri 18-Sep-09 22:06:08

DD didn't walk until she was 15 months. I think she couldn't be bothered because she could get everyone quicky enough by crawling.

don't worry, she will do it when she is ready. honestly, one day she will just take off (I am so lucky that my friend caught DDs very first steps on film - she just stood up in the park one day and walked and didn't look back.

SycamoretreeIsVile Fri 18-Sep-09 22:07:32

Mine didn't walk until 14/15 months...I really don't think you should be worrying. Apparently my DH didn't walk until he was 17 months...and he, erm, walks just fine now!

cookielove Fri 18-Sep-09 22:07:34

oh yeah, another child took their first steps chasing bubbles, we have photo's of her so cute bless

sazlocks Fri 18-Sep-09 22:11:09

another vote for not worrying about it - she will do it when she is ready. My DS didn't walk until he was 15 ish months.

mathanxiety Fri 18-Sep-09 22:11:30

Walking means endless falling and bumping of heads, splitting of lips.. Why would you want to encourage it? No baby gets a medal for learning to walk -- let her do it in her own good time smile.

Fluffypoms Fri 18-Sep-09 22:17:26

Argos sell a pram thats a walker,weighted so doesnt tip.
Might encourage her?

Plonker Fri 18-Sep-09 22:18:03

I agree with everyone else - 13mo is still very very tiny.

Don't worry about it, she'll get there in her own sweet time ...and then you'll wish she was still merrily bum-shuffling along grin

My dd's all had push along walkers (varying sorts, lol) - the favoured one was this one, which still gets played with now and dd is 2! smile

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Fri 18-Sep-09 22:20:39

DS1 walked at 16 months, DS2 walked at 14 months,
I held tight to the memory of a friend whose son didn't walk until 20 months and set that as my target.

Try to relax,... once they start there is no going back so enjoy !

Danthe4th Fri 18-Sep-09 22:23:11

The vtech walker is really stable and half price in asda at the moment

eclectech Fri 18-Sep-09 22:23:56

Sounds very similar to my DS. At 13 mnths he was standing up, picking up toys, waving things about but didn't actually move for another 4 / 5 weeks. At the time I was desperate for him to start moving, but with hindsight I'm quite happy tbh; by the time he started walking he was pretty steady.

It'll come, don't fret!

ReneRusso Fri 18-Sep-09 22:24:01

not unusual at all don't worry. silly HV

mrswill Fri 18-Sep-09 22:32:44

Thanks for all your replies.

What do you mean - bumping heads, splitting lips, i thought it would get easier when she walked wink Seriously, does it get harder when they walk?? [nervous emoticon]

Only the HV niggled me a bit, the word unusual petrifies me when aimed at dd! I just think shes very nervous, shes generally a cautious baby anyway. Am definatley going to get some bubbles though, and one of those walkers, oh maybe not now.....

Fluffypoms Fri 18-Sep-09 22:34:53

being able to bend over would just show she has good balance NO?

Aranea Fri 18-Sep-09 22:45:28

My 11 month old can stand up without holding on to anything, and bend over to pick up toys. She has just today managed 4 consecutive steps and I really don't think there is anything wrong with her. Don't worry, your dd just has good strength and balance. They may be unusually good, but that can't be bad smile.

Portofino Fri 18-Sep-09 22:45:51

My dd was just walking at 15 months. I seem to remember that was normal. Oh I feel so nostalgic for those days! Shw was still nearly bald, but so cute! Nowawdays she has a healthy head of hair and answers back all the time!

Aranea Fri 18-Sep-09 22:47:15

PS just in case you think I was showing off that my 11 month old is learning to walk, I should point out that my dd1 didn't walk till 17 months, purely due to her being a less physically confident child.

busybutterfly Fri 18-Sep-09 22:54:36

My DS1 walked at 11 months.

DS2 walked at 1yr and a week.

DD1 aged 16 months STILL NOT WALKING!!
(Is it girls who are generally slower or is it just mine? hmm)

mrswill Fri 18-Sep-09 22:56:32

Show off all you like, its a mamas right! grin.

She has good balance but is a nervy little thing. Il just relax and wait for her would be best given her personality. My twin and I were only just sitting up around 13 months, so shes got a bit on me at that age anyway!

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 18-Sep-09 22:57:42

I took my first steps at 23 months (there is dated pictorial evidence to prove it!). I was a bum shuffler.

Pyrocanthus Fri 18-Sep-09 23:00:36

I walked at 16 months - I'm really good at it now! She's just not quite confident enough yet, but it'll happen really suddenly.

If you think about all the things that she can do - cruising, standing, bending over - there's clearly nothing physical preventing her. She's doing everything but let go.

mrswill Fri 18-Sep-09 23:04:28

I think i was about the same age bbh. Coupled with an enormous appetite according to my mother, it was not a good look!

All of my friends have boys give or take a few months off dd, and most are walking, and are very active, whereas dd likes shuffling and playing with her toys instead of being into everything ifykwim. My sisters very premature dd though is very active and more or less walking at 9 months, and runs rings around my dd.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 18-Sep-09 23:05:06

13 months is hardly a late walker, so why the worry?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now