Talk

Advanced search

Tantrums

(2 Posts)
NK4ba00f84X123cdf1f8e4 Fri 18-Sep-09 17:36:05

Hi, i'm new to mumsnet. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with tantrums in four year olds? Don't feel that i am getting anywhere at the moment. Have got cross which is what not to do i know and doesn't help.

kateGB Fri 18-Sep-09 21:00:18

Ignore and walk away!

Thankfully DD1 could never be arsed to throw a tant. DD2 (21 months) is an expert and has been since 7 months old ! I walk away and ignore, close the door (making sure she can't hurt herself on anything). Give her a few minutes to try and calm herself down then go back and give her a cuddle. She's still at an age though where the initial reason for the tant gets forgotten about but she's still upset but can't remember the reason.

A tant is done to attract attention, particularly as they get older, and to try and get what they want. It consumes a large amount of effort so if it doesn't work on either count then they will soon wonder why they should bother (hopefully ).

On a good day, once the tant has subsided then 'good mummy' would try and explain why the answer etc was no. On a bad day 'knackered mummy' would just keep the door shut until it goes quiet again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now