Talk

Advanced search

Baby wants to sit up but can't and gets him frustrated

(7 Posts)
andyourmama2 Fri 18-Sep-09 16:39:53

Hi, sorry this is a bit of a long post.
Just wondering if anyone's gone through this and what you did about it.
DS is just 4 months old. In the last couple of weeks he's started rolling over. Once he's rolled over on his tummy he wants to crawl, which he can't do as yet. At the same he also tries to sit up whenever he's lying on his cot, baby gym, etc. And the past couple of days he's started reaching out for toys. The problem is, he wants to sit up to play with his toys but he still can't do it unaided. And if I put him down to play on his tummy he fruitlessly tries to crawl which leaves him crying with frustration. I'm not sure what to try. As things stand at the moment, I have to sit with him and help him support his back and head all the time.
Oh, and bouncy chair and bumbo seat are both no-nos as he tries to crawl out of the first and hates the latter.
Any ideas I could try?

tethersend Fri 18-Sep-09 16:47:08

Try one of those inflatable rings- my dd was exactly the same and loved it.

tethersend Fri 18-Sep-09 16:47:58

You can remove the hanging bits and sit them in it to play with toys too smile

TheHappyCamper Fri 18-Sep-09 17:43:20

we have a u shaped boppy feeding cushion which we put sort of round her hips.

also how about a door hanging bouncy thing? dd likes that.

persevere with the bumbo, dd hated it at 4 months but likes it more at 5 months.

Try not to worry too much though, as that is how they learn to crawl, sit up etc - by getting frustrated enough to learn to do it!

andyourmama2 Tue 22-Sep-09 18:32:58

He has one of those door bouncers. He likes to jump around in it for a bit, then he gets tired and starts spinning round and that's the end of the fun, bless him.
You're right HappyCamper, he seems to be accepting -can't say liking- the bumbo a bit more these days.

The inflatable ring looks like a good idea. Might give it a try if I can find a second hand one grin

Grisette Tue 22-Sep-09 18:50:10

DD loved the bumbo, DS ( 5.5 months) hates it. He loves his ring though. CAn seem to get his dorr bouncer to bounce but likes spinning round in it.

fairimum Tue 22-Sep-09 19:45:08

My DD was the queen of being frustrated, started off witht he wanting to sit, then frustrated as couldn't crawl/pull herself up/walk... Now we are on to refusing to be fed unless she does it herself using a fork (wont have a spoon) and we get full on strops now too!! The ring was great for a while, but they grow so fast, the bumbo was great for us... until they can climb out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now