Talk

Advanced search

I am SO F***ING BORED of telling DS1 (3) to stop hurting DS2 (1)

(6 Posts)
MrsFawlty Thu 17-Sep-09 14:14:24

I am nearly losing my voice and getting more and more frustrated. He is constantly shoving him, snatching, trying to drag him around by the head and just generally trying to damage him.

I've tried everything, positive attention, positive motivation to not do it, time out, confiscating toys - he doesn't give a monkeys. I'm starting to really resent having to say the same crap over and over and over.

What can I do?! sad

mumofeve Thu 17-Sep-09 17:05:19

When you find out please let me know! Am bumping you.......

MrsFawlty Thu 17-Sep-09 17:12:05

grin

LargeLatte Thu 17-Sep-09 17:59:42

I have two boys now 2 and 4 - I am currently posting on another thread about them always fighting so I am by no means a parenting expert. However when they were the same age as your 2 at least i always knew ds1 was the guilty party.I got so fed up of repeating myself. I just pulled up a chair wherever I was busy - coz it always happened if I was washing up, cooking, etc, etc. Then immediately plonked ds1 on chair for required 3 mins. Usually gave him time to calm down, I didn't get raise my voicd so managed not to get angry myself and I managed to carry on with whatever I was doing. Its like a natural consequence 'if you can't be trusted to play near your brother you will have to stay next to me'. But do not speak to them while they are on the chair - or they are just being rewarded with your focussed attention.

CloudDragon Thu 17-Sep-09 18:13:51

the only thing that worked with my one was to completely at utterly ignore him, not even look at him, no time out, nothing.

Just calmly picked up DS2, gave him He improved pretty quickly.

Also try and intervene at flash points (toys about to be taken/if hungry/tired) as once they get oiut the habit it happens less.

good luck it is v. frustrating.
#
Now DS2 gives as good as he gets and that is a whole other ball game grin

MrsFawlty Fri 18-Sep-09 13:38:08

Thank you for the advice. I've tried today to intervene like you've both said and taking DS1 out of the situation and so far so good.

I also went to a meditation class last night and am trying really hard to keep my cool rather than shouting and making it worse, and that's really helping too. (So far, nearasdammit!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now