Talk

Advanced search

Support thread (read rant session) for parents of late talkers

(7 Posts)
BlueberryPancake Wed 16-Sep-09 13:10:56

I have a beautiful DS2 who isn't saying anything (apart from 3 words) at 2 years and 4 months. I don't really have any questions (I have asked them here before) but I am a bit fed up and need a good rant.

DS1 started school nursery today and staff commented on how good his speech is - not just pronounciation but vocabulary as well. And I have this poor DS2 in the buggy who doesn't say anything at 2.4. I just wish so much that he could just 'start' talking, it hurts me that he cna't express himself, say what hee wants, how he feels...

He is learning Makaton signs and is OK in all others areas of development. He had undetected glue ear for months and now it has cleared up but he is still not talking.

Anyone out there with same problem???

pingapengin Wed 16-Sep-09 13:14:15

My DD is 3years and 1 month and she has only just (i mean last month) started talking.

We have been doing all the recommended things, she goes to nursery, mixes with kids, no development issues.. and its sooo frustrating!!

Saying that shes just had ENT assessment and they havegiven us a date for grommits and adenoids to be done shock

DSH Thu 17-Sep-09 09:04:19

yes. been there, done that and read about 100 books.

Listened intently to all advice. Visited endless SLT. Watched videos, googled endlessly. Did all the exercises etc. etc.

guilt and more guilt piled on every day.

It was the most stressful few years of my life.

My DD started talking VERY late, but now 2 years down the track she is making incredible progress and is almost on the chart (albeit at the bottom but I don't care) for her age.

You have all my sympathy. And people kept saying this to me (I would feel like kicking them) but everyone does learn to talk. some just later than others. Doesn't really help when you are in the thick of it though.

D

cyberseraphim Thu 17-Sep-09 10:24:44

Everyone on the normal development path will learn to talk but when a child is not talking, the fear is that the child is not developing normally so it is not helpful to keep referring parents back to the fairy tale of the "wee boy who 'did not speak' til four" etc. I found this just heightened the anxiety. But if you've got the all clear on the other development issues, then speech should follow and loss of hearing could well explain the delay in your case.

BlueberryPancake Thu 17-Sep-09 14:02:07

There is always a fear that there's another cause for it, and also that it is just so much more work. We are starting a new session with speech therapist ( a group session ) this coming monday, and also he is starting pre-school, all that might help. It's just a pain.

Triggles Thu 17-Sep-09 14:26:39

pingapengin - when I was a child (approx 4yrs old), I had to get my adenoids (and tonsils) as they were infected/swollen, and I literally could not hear anything. My mother had initially been freaking out as she thought I had gone deaf. I can see where that would have some effect on speech development. Hopefully, once she has the procedure done, her hearing will improve and her speech will develop more.

madgebettany Fri 18-Sep-09 11:32:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now