Talk

Advanced search

Rocking to sleep - should I be concerned?

(5 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Tue 15-Sep-09 22:24:21

My DS (16 months) rocks himself from side to side while making a repetitive groaning noise to get himself to sleep. He has done this from very early on. Sometimes the rocking is quite forceful so I have had to ensure that he has bumpers all the way around the cot to ensure he doesn't hurt himself. My mum says my brother did exactly the same thing and my brother says his son did it too.

My MIL, who was a midwife years ago, really doensn't like it and says that I should stop him doing it. She doesn't think it is normal.

I have asked the girls in DS's nursery room if they have ever seen any other child do it and they all say no.

However, I am not overly concerned by it. I think it's just his way of getting to sleep.

Anyone else seen anything like this? Should I be concerned?

legrandfromage Wed 16-Sep-09 08:36:36

My DD this, too. I had to get bumpers for her cot to deaden the racket. It was very rhythmic, too! Sometimes I didn't explain to visitors and would snigger as they tried hard not to notice the banging!

she carried on doing it when she moved to a bed, this time banging her head on the mattress.

I tried (and failed) to get her to stop. She grew out of it when she was about 2-ish.

Then she switched to singing herself to sleep. Show tunes were her favourite. It was like living with Ethel Merman.

personally, I'd say no need for huge amounts of concern because your DS will most likely grow out of it.

legrandfromage Wed 16-Sep-09 08:37:28

my DD did this, too

must preview. must preview blush

boredofthehols Tue 22-Sep-09 21:53:47

I did this as a child - I rocked and sang myself to sleep for years. I found it comforting and it got me to sleep. Needless to say I don't do it now but there is absolutley no harm in it. My best friend from Uni also admitted having done the same as a child grin

napluster Tue 22-Sep-09 22:43:32

My db did this all the way through childhood(and admitted to me in secret that he still does sometimes as an adult) and I have noticed that ds does it sometimes.
I saw a programme on tv years ago where they were discussing this very thing and said that it is something that is sometimes seen in boys (less usually in girls) and that it tends to run in families. I have never met anyone in rl who seems to know what I am talking about though so it is good to read that some of you noticed in your families. I suppose it does seem very wierd to someone if they not prepared for it.
The tv programme seemed to imply that it was nothing to worry about btw. (and my brother is a fully functioning adult!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now