Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can i stimulate him more???

(22 Posts)
charleepeters Sat 04-Jun-05 16:35:50

Its me again with another development question! sorry!

Anyway here goes, ds is 9 months and hes not crawling yet, my hv said thats fine some do tihngs later so im not to worried as im sure some of your ds/dd's didnt crawl till later, anyway i want to stimulate him more im not sure if hes getting enough things to do, he goes in his baby walker which he absolutly loves as he loves whizzing round the living room after our dog so thats cool, he also has one of those big blow up play rings which he likes, and i also often put him on a duvet on the floor with cusions scattered around as he has a habit of reaching for something and falling and banging his head thats all fine its just when i put him on the floor he rolls onto his stomach on purpous then cries because he wants to sit up again, he's trying to crawl but cant quite get his arm and legs in sinc but he wont stay on histum long enough to make any progress. he likes to stang againt the sofa and is begining to pull himself up on me and dp apart fromt hat he on our knee playing. is this ok is it enough to stimulate him and help him learn i get the feeling he gets bored sometimes?????????

Chandra Sat 04-Jun-05 16:42:38

DS was a late crawler and I believe that the baby walker may have something to do with that, however it was a great babysitting device while I was busy preparing dinner, etc.

I think he wil walk when he is ready, but if you really want him to make a bigger effort restrictig the use of the walker may help. (I didn't, TBH and he is fine )

hunkermunker Sat 04-Jun-05 16:45:05

I know a baby who didn't crawl till he was one, so please don't fret. How long does he spend in his baby walker though - sometimes babies don't like crawling when they get used to being in a walker iyswim.

As for stimulating him - do you go out for walks? Take him to the park and push him in a swing? Go to a mother and baby group? Take him to the shops? Go swimming? Just go about your life and he'll be interested in it! Don't make huge purposeful attempts to entertain him - he'll only end up expecting it...

charleepeters Sat 04-Jun-05 16:46:13

he doesnt go in his walker alot i alternate it during the day when were in between all the thisngs i listed , walker,knee,floor,ring ect. im not worried about him not walikg or crawling as my hv said it was fine so my minds put to rest aboutt hat, i just want to stimulate him more into geeting himself about and learning new things ect. i dont really want to restric his walker anymore than i am at the moment he loves it and he laughes and chuckles in it, its great to see him playing and also as you say its a good way of being able to tidy up with out worrting about him to much, and its not like hes in it all day.

charleepeters Sat 04-Jun-05 16:48:38

i think he wants to crawl as he purpously rolls onto his stomach and pushes his arms up and his legs but cant do both at the same time but after a min he cries to be sat up again, so im not sure if i should leave him on his stomach to learn or to keep sitting him back up.

we go for walks and we go out places, we feed the ducks at the big pond near by and we go shopping ect, he interacts well with people and other babies i just dont want him to be bored!

Chandra Sat 04-Jun-05 16:50:54

Have you thought of a treasure basket? they are great to keep them entertained at home while also show them different materials and textures.

charleepeters Sat 04-Jun-05 17:00:56

good idea chandra - sorry to sound like a tit but whats one of them when its at home???

hang on a sec here i think im being a pleb and not getting this across well.......... is there anything i can do to encourage him to crawl and walk any games ect???

Chandra Sat 04-Jun-05 17:09:23

treasure baskets

Answering your last question... get rid of the walker. I used to play with DS by rolling him from one side to the end of the carpet and then roll back in the oposite direction until he started to roll slightly better. You can get a bouncer (those you hang from the door frames) so he can exercise his legs. DS cruised long before he crawled, then he found crawling easier and forgot about cruising... anyways...

charleepeters Sat 04-Jun-05 17:11:18

we had a door bouncer but our doors arnet very wide so ds kept jumping head first into the door frame! ouch!

dinosaur Sat 04-Jun-05 17:13:59

charlee, baby massage helps to strengthen the muscles and can encourage crawling. Get him when he is not too tired, fairly relaxed and not too full. Take off clothes except nappy, lay him on his tummy and massage his back with a little bit of oil - just stroke your hands down his spine. This will probably make him lift his head up - which helps strengthen the muscles. I didn't do it with my DS1 and he was a very late crawler - I did do it with the other two and they started crawling earlier.

charleepeters Sat 04-Jun-05 17:17:03

thats a good idea dinosaur but he hates laying on him tum!

starlover Sat 04-Jun-05 17:19:14

CP... I would keep letting him roll onto his tummy, or putting him on his tummy every day.
Sit him back up as soon as he gets bored though.

I actually used to look after a little girl who was in a baby walker a lot of the time and she never crawled. She hated being on her tummy and wouldn't lift her head up! She ended up being a bum-shuffler! She was pretty fast at it too!

I think to encourage him carry on as you are... lie on the floor with him when you put him on his tummy, so he can see you. Let him pull himself up on the furniture etc...

he'll get it in time!

dinosaur Sat 04-Jun-05 17:21:18

Try the massage anyway charlee, he might enjoy it!

Windermere Sat 04-Jun-05 17:33:55

I love the treasure basket Chandra!

loulabelle222 Sat 04-Jun-05 18:11:37

don't 'get rid of the walker' if he enjoys it let him play in it as long as there are no dangers around him. My ds was in his walker from about 6 months and was crawling at just under 8 months and walking the day after his first birthday. I don't think it effected him not crawling or walking as i didn' put him in it all the time just for up to half and hour a day too let him go mad and get about and explore! I think that walkers make babys develop more .. they know they can get around in a walker but not on their own and therefore they persist to crawl and walk.
Its your decision . At christmas ds was 8m i got him a fisher price house thing with a door (look on member profiles there is a pic) and he learnt to pull himself up on that , he plays with it everyday and loves crawling through the door and dancing to the music. It is pricey though, i have seen them going cheaper on ebay, it is the best thing i ever bought him !

aloha Sat 04-Jun-05 18:20:26

I honestly don't think you need to do a think to stimulate him into crawling/walking. He will do it when he does it and not before. There is no evidence that it is beneficial to 'do' anything. Just let him have the physical freedom to do it when he is ready.
Otherwise, read to him every day. That really does help a child, IMO.

Kaz33 Sat 04-Jun-05 18:49:30

Talk to him, read to him loads and play games with him - tickling, peekaboo, blowing on his stomach. Anything that will make him smile and laugh, they really help to build your relationship.

mommie Tue 07-Jun-05 13:28:12

hello; I am not sure whether I am worrying unnecessaily, but my eight month old neither rolls nor sits without support - hence crawling is a non starter. she hates being on her tummy and although we do it, her neck is not strong and she gets upset fast. Also, she is not bearing weight well on her legs, which surprised the health visitor. Have been to doc who is nonplussed. any advice?

LottieG Tue 07-Jun-05 13:32:36

Hi Charlee, my dd didn't crawl, rollover or pull up until almost 11 months. Then she did all three pretty much at the same time!

HandbagAddiction Tue 07-Jun-05 13:46:31

Sorry to hijack your thread charlee but I just wanted to answer Mommie's question... I'm surprised that your HV is concerned about non weight bearing at 8 months to be honest. Sitting without support at 9/10 months is probably worth speaking to your GP about as lack of head control / strength could be an indicator of some kind of problem. However, none weight bearing on it's own I hasten to add, at this stage is not something I would be concerned about (seconded by my GP too). dd is now 21 months and did not weight bear properly until about 15 months (also didn't roll until 12 months) - she was just was not interested in putting her feet on the floor at all. She has been walking unassisted for about a month now and again - because she hit all her other milestones, this was not a cuase for concern.

However - whatever I or anyone may say, if you are at all concerned, speak to your GP who can refer you if needed. Again, in isolation the not rolling or not weightbearing should not be an issue. Combined with other things - like not sitting or being able to support their heads...well, you may want to get it checked out if only for piece of mind.

mommie Tue 07-Jun-05 15:35:48

handbag addiction - thanks; am going back to the docs on Thursday just for peace of mind and to know I am not trying to get her to do things that are wrong/uncomfortable for her.

Lizzylou Tue 07-Jun-05 15:40:30

My friends DD is 13mths and doesn't crawl or walk yet, she does stand, her DP didn't walk until he was 16mths......she is happy to watch my DS run around and sits and plays and talks incessantly (far more than my DS)...another little boy we know didn't crawl at all, just started walking at 14mths.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now