Talk

Advanced search

14 mo DS _can_ walk but has a problem with confidence

(2 Posts)
lorrycat Tue 15-Sep-09 08:43:40

Hi all.
My DS is almost 14 months and has just started to walk within the last 2 weeks. He will walk between DP and I, but only if we give him loads of encouragement. Quite a lot of the time he will stop halfway, quickly turn and almost run back to the start. It's as though he doesn't have the confidence to get going.

I know that I shouldn't push him too much, as he will do it in his own time, but I expected him to be walking well by now. My friend's DS has been walking perfectly from 9.5 months, just took off by himself.

Is there anything I can be doing to encourage him more? At the moment DP and I are standing facing one another, about 6-8 feet apart and coaxing DS to walk to either one of us.

Thanks for any advice
Lori

Scottie22 Tue 15-Sep-09 12:43:06

You could try a wooden spoon - get him to hold one end and you hold the other then let go without him noticing and he will hopefully continue on without you. This was a tip from a physio as my dd was late to walk and had very real issues with her confidence. Worked well for my dd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now