Talk

Advanced search

No tongue frenulum

(8 Posts)
Longtalljosie Sun 13-Sep-09 13:03:05

I've noticed my three week old DD has no lingual frenulum - the bit that anchors the tongue to the bottom of the mouth.

At first I was just glad she obviously didn't have tongue tie but I'm now starting to worry about it a bit.

Is there anyone else out there whose children (or who themselves) don't have one? There's virtually nothing about it online - except that it can be a sign of hypermobility and she doesn't seem to have hypermobile joints so that doesn't seem to be it...

Wanderingsheep Sun 13-Sep-09 13:32:40

Sorry, no experience or advice, just bumping for you incase someone comes along who has.

ComeOVeneer Sun 13-Sep-09 13:38:37

There is no way of telling at 3 weeks old if a child is hypermobile I would have thought. The lingual frenum is the external evidence of the muscle attachment to the jaw bone (ie what holds the muscle to the bone) so there must be one, it just may not be particularly obvious, however without it the child would be having feeding difficulties. I have to say that in my professional capacity I have never heard of this, nor the link to hypermobility, but I would suggest your first port of call is your dentist.

Longtalljosie Sun 13-Sep-09 13:51:02

Thank you. She's bfing like a trooper so no problems there...

PinkTulips Sun 13-Sep-09 14:23:31

when are you looking at it?

when the tongue is pulled up it can often look like there's no freneum as it goes taut and sort of disappears into the tongue, so if you're looking when she's crying it's very possible you just can't see it smile

PinkTulips Sun 13-Sep-09 14:25:44

frenulum... blargh... typing while eating popcorn and not concentrating!

Longtalljosie Sun 13-Sep-09 14:30:39

I am looking at it when she's crying (how did you guess? smile). That must be it. Especially taken with what Veneer says about feeding. She's a really good feeder.

Ellenb123 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:23:05

Look I'm a 16 year old I don't have a frenulum or what ever its call neither does my dad or auntie so I'm guessing it's a bit hereditary . But I'm perfectly fine in health and speach and it also allows me to lick my own nose not that that's important but still . Just chill it's fine .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now