Talk

Advanced search

3.3 year old wanting to go for a wee every half an hour or so and this has escalated in the last week....

(7 Posts)
herbgarden Sat 12-Sep-09 19:14:06

DS has been potty trained for 6 months - he took to it quickly both pooing and weeing and we've had two accidents in the whole 6 month period so clearly he was ready when it happened.

Just to give you a bit of background - we've got a 7 month old DD. DS goes to nursery 2 days a week when I work and just started pre-school two mornings a week. He muddles along fine with DD.

In the last week every 20 mins/half an hour he jumps up and says he needs a wee. He goes himself as we have a downstairs loo and sometimes he'll go and sometimes he doesn't. I wondered if it was a bit of attention seeking but at nursery they said he did it even when he was engrossed in something he was enjoying. I wondered if it was an infection (I confess not taken him to the doctor about it yet as I wanted to see whether it was a phase which would pass). He's not asking for any more drinks than normal (wondered about diabetes thing?)

Anyone else experience this after a perfectly good transition of potty training ?

Ta !

YouLukaSimplyAmazing Sat 12-Sep-09 19:17:39

I'd just get along to the GP with a urine sample - should be easy enough to obtain from him, boys much easier than girls wink and do encourage him to drink more water

JackBauer Sat 12-Sep-09 19:36:26

I 2nd YouLuka, get a sample to GP just in case. DD has urine infections and sometimes this is the only symptom.
Would put your mind at rest anywaysmile

herbgarden Sat 12-Sep-09 21:14:33

thanks - a friend of mine said that it's really difficult for boys to get UTI's but it's obviously not impossible. I will at least be able to cross that off my list as until I get a sample tested I'm not going to know for sure....

paranoidmum Sat 12-Sep-09 21:45:44

It can also be a recognised condition caused by anxiety (some very long name I googled). My DS then age just 4 started weeing every 5 mins, both at pre-school, and at home. But dry at night, so I was less concerned that a medical condition.

Went to GP to be sure, not UTI, agreed that probably "stress" - change of circumstance, change to routine etc. (I was called on Jury service for 5-week case, juggling DD at school and DS at pre-school, with no permanent childcare ....)

Sounds like recent changes may have made your DS a bit unsettled. Do get GP to check, but my advice would be to carry on things as normal, ensure he knows he is still v much loved despite big life changes, and wait till things revert to normal.

Hope this helps!!

scarlotti Sat 12-Sep-09 21:57:00

We had this with DS. Took him to GP and it wasn't a urine infection but some sort of infection on the end of his willy. Gave us some cream and that sorted it out for him. Took a few days to kick in but he's fine now.

Get him to the doc.

herbgarden Sun 13-Sep-09 21:37:55

thank you - all helpful ! I wonder if recent events have made him a bit stressed....he can be a bit anxious at times. Family trait I'm afraid.

I was getting a bit impatient about it but realise that this is only going to make matters worse although today when he was out he asked once in the supermarket and once en route to the park and both times I asked if he could just hang on a while until we paid for shopping/ got to the park and he managed so we did a lot of "what a good boy for waiting " praise......

Poor little thing sad...he's a bit oversensitive at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now