Talk

Advanced search

when do they start to occupy themselves for more than 3 minutes at a time? please tell me it's soon?!

(5 Posts)
LittleRedBook Sat 12-Sep-09 13:39:11

ds is 2.4 and is able to play on his own very well, with the major caveat that I am constantly summoned to "come and see", usually every 2 minutes. If I play with him for 30 mins it doesn't then give me longer off, he wants me all the time. <tired and bored emoticon>

When do children start to be able to play on their own without needing someone next to them or viewing them?!

I work from home and am realistic enough to know that this has to be during the evenings, but sometimes I do have to take calls during office hours and I can't do that at all now without ds getting totally irate and shouting at me to put the phone away!

Meglet Sat 12-Sep-09 13:45:09

DS is 2.10 and has only just started to get good at doing things on his own, probably partly to get away from his baby sister crawling after him. In the last week or two he has had a few 1 hour playing sessions without needing me at all smile. He's happiest in the garden mixing pots of water and sand or building with blocks in his room.

plimple Sat 12-Sep-09 13:46:46

From as early as you tell them you can't come and see until you've finished the washing up/e mail/whatever. It's up to you to teach him really.

hairymelons Sat 12-Sep-09 13:54:51

14mo DS occupied himself with a sweeping brush for a full 20 minutes this morning. Miraculous considering he usually doesn't let me out of his sight. I don't usually get anything done when at home with DS, managed to clean the kitchen today, woo hoo!
It's really draining when they want your attention so much, wish he liked cartoons more!

fizzpops Sat 12-Sep-09 14:59:24

My DD will occupy herself for quite long periods of time (15-20 mins on average), usually only if I am in the room but this is more because if I leave the room she will get up to mischief.

She is 16mo but has been this way for at least 2 or 3 months. She will sit and 'read' her books outloud to herself or push herself round on her little ride on toy or just tip everything out of the toy box!

We do a lot of 'One minute and I will finish what I am doing', 'Mummy is making a phone call please wait for a minute'. Seems to have worked but could just as well be a personality thing or that she just gets so involved she forgets about me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now