Talk

Advanced search

8 month old does not babble - mama, dada, baba

(15 Posts)
AvrilH Thu 10-Sep-09 23:00:09

I have observed that other babies of the same age babble with consonants, milestone charts indicate most babies should do it and that it might be a red flag.

Is this by the end of eight months or at the begining?

Thanks in advance! I am well aware that every baby is different and it probably doesn't mean much, but still...

lowrib Fri 11-Sep-09 01:28:25

I usually take it to mean sometime in that month - but I don't know if that's actuall what they mean.

Did you know Einstein didn't talk till he was 4?!

Here's an article from the Guardian - a mum talking about her late speaking boy. It's got a bit of an anti-expert tone - I'm certainly not meaning to put you off seeking advice at all, as if there is something wrong it's best looked at, but I thought you might find it reassuring anyway.

belgo Fri 11-Sep-09 06:32:28

My ds is 11 months and just says gaga gaga and aga as a slight variation. He doesn't say mama, dada or baba, despite me trying to teach him since he was 6 months old!

I'm not worried, and the chances are you don't need to be worried either, but it's good to keep an eye on it.

Gargula Fri 11-Sep-09 12:27:26

I queried my son's lack of babbling at 11 months with the HV, who advised a wait and see approach.
He said his first word at 14 months (again slightly later than the "typical"), but now, at 21 months, I would say he has around 100 words and is using two-word sentences. His pronounciation is dreadful tho!
Anyway I would really advise you to not worry! Easier said than done though, I know.

AvrilH Fri 11-Sep-09 12:49:29

Thanks all! smile

lowrib Sat 12-Sep-09 23:37:58

Just wanted to say I saw an old friend today and somehow or another we got onto the subject of babies talkng. He says he didn't talk till he was two, and he's one of the smartest people I know.

AvrilH Tue 15-Sep-09 13:02:50

Thanks lowrib grin

mamoomin Fri 18-Sep-09 22:21:49

Had the same thing but my d i7 months and just started if you listern really hard to say nanna (banana) apple , dada (at me) hiya

dont worrie as long as they seem to understand when you are pointing at things its ok....

inkyfingers Sat 19-Sep-09 09:19:25

all the advice I've heard is to keep talking to him and singing rhymes/songs to develop enjoyment and understanding of words and language. It'll come!

lovechoc Sat 19-Sep-09 11:45:09

I know a friend who has a 2.7yo and he hasn't said his first word yet, so you definately haven't got anything to worry about!!
he is still at the babbling stage yet...

Bibithree Sat 19-Sep-09 11:51:14

Mine (twins) didn't say anything meaningful at all until they were about 17mo. By that point I was frantic and had them assessed by speech and language people, who deemed them to be fine. They are now 2.2 and still only use 3 word sentences occasionally, mostly it's one word with an expression or gesture. Please try not to worry. 8m is very early.

magazinefiend Sat 19-Sep-09 22:11:40

i blame this concern on those bloody milestone charts. throw it out it only causes worry anyway. DS1 never said a word until he was 3 years old and now theres no stopping him. DS2 talked from 8 months. Both same gene pool and upbringing.who knows.

MavisEnderby Sat 19-Sep-09 22:13:26

Is only 8 months,don't worry.Very young.

GirlsAreLOud Sat 19-Sep-09 22:17:25

Is your baby very active? My DD was/is good speeh wise but her gross motor skills development was pretty slow.

She said her firs word (pointed at the dog and said 'dog') at just less than 9 months but didn't crawl until 11.5 months.

I've heard that if they're concentrating on one thing they're often slower at another.

DD is 13 months now and has lots of words: yes, no, nice, look, wow, dog, mama, dada, duck, but she only started pulling up to stand last week.

You little one is probably doing really well in another area and 8 months is far to early to worry about this stuff anyway. I've just checked and have a video of the day DD first babbled properly (dadadada) and she was almost exactly 8 months old. I doubt vry much you have anything to worry about.

Plonker Sat 19-Sep-09 22:25:04

My dd1 (now 9) didn't babble. At all.
She was even referred for hearing tests at 8mo because she was so quiet they suspected that she may be partially deaf.

At around 10mo she said her first word ("No" hmm) and by the time she was 18mo she was talking in a full sentences. She hasn't ever shut up since!!

Hope this reassures you a little smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now