Talk

Advanced search

Could this be reflux?

(6 Posts)
Tee2072 Thu 10-Sep-09 18:48:07

For the last 3 nights my DS has been throwing up after a bottle. He eats, he burps, he pukes. And I mean all over who ever is holding him. I got it last night, his daddy tonight.

It is only after his evening bottle. No other time. Its almost like if we didn't burp him it wouldn't happen.

So could reflux only be happening at this time? Should I stop trying to burp him?

Tee2072 Thu 10-Sep-09 18:48:26

I forgot to say, he's 3 months tomorrow!

LIZS Thu 10-Sep-09 18:56:39

I think it would have been evident before now. Perhaps it is too much for him to take at once ?

Fizzylemonade Thu 10-Sep-09 19:24:48

Maybe he doesn't need quite that big a feed at that point and he is just being a bit greedy.

I had 2 sons with reflux, ds2 aged 3 still has it. Under paediatrician, whole hog so not mild or anything.

It doesn't sound like reflux to me as it is a one off incident per day.

If he is finishing the bottle try reducing it by 1oz, if he isn't work out how much he is drinking and reduce that by 1oz.

ssjj Mon 14-Sep-09 14:59:29

My dd (now 16 months) had reflux up until about 12 months old. I think you would have more instances of throwing up or general grizzliness if it were reflux.

The only thing I would say is that dd does on occasion throw up her evening bottle, and I think it is usually when she is in the first few days of a cold (runny nose). I think the build up of snot (sorry!) by the end of the day, with a whole bottle of milk is too much and she has usually thrown it up over me/hubbie or if she makes it to the cot, in there.
Nice.

MunkyNuts Mon 14-Sep-09 20:42:06

Not sure if this is related but just in case; my DS threw up milk in the night (projectile, left no sheet uncovered), but not during the day, we think he was lactose intolerant, his tummy made lots of rumblings and groanings, he was breast fed mostly with supplemental bottles of formula, by the time he was 5 months I switched his formula to lactose free and he was fine. He is nearly 3 now and is fine with ordinary cow´s milk, they tend to outgrow it after a year. This is just a thought, if you are exclusively breastfeeding its unlikely to be this unless you have a lot of dairy in your diet. As ssjj says it could just be a passing snotty phase with any luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now