Talk

Advanced search

How many playdates does your 4-5 year old have in a week?

(18 Posts)
TheYearOfTheCat Thu 10-Sep-09 17:26:39

DD has just started primary school, and all the parents / children are excited about getting to know each other.

I am just a little concerned that I don't want to overload her with activities, especially since she has a lot of change to cope with.

How many playdates (grr, sorry, I hate the term, but can't think of an alternative) would most 4-5 year olds have?

colditz Thu 10-Sep-09 17:31:53

None.

ds1 has never been invited on a 'playdate'.Not in the last 2 years he has been at school. He's been to one party. But that is only normal for him sad

paddingtonbear1 Thu 10-Sep-09 17:34:15

My dd is 6 but things haven't changed - she doesn't really have any normally! dh and I both work though (me 4 days a week) so it would make it tricky. I don't think it matters so much at that age, let them settle in and see how things go.

TheYearOfTheCat Thu 10-Sep-09 17:38:30

It's hard to think that DD may miss out on making friendships if she doesn't invite / get invited. I'm sure this isn't the case.

ramonaquimby Thu 10-Sep-09 17:39:25

really depends on what else you have on

I work 2 days, and for the other 3 days we usually do 1 play date (here or invited elsewhere) any more and she's too tired. (going into reception)

ramonaquimby Thu 10-Sep-09 17:39:25

really depends on what else you have on

I work 2 days, and for the other 3 days we usually do 1 play date (here or invited elsewhere) any more and she's too tired. (going into reception)

TheYearOfTheCat Thu 10-Sep-09 17:53:00

Hey, I work 2 days too smile. Best kept secret in the world!

Tambajam Thu 10-Sep-09 17:56:29

Usually 1-2. 3 is too many I find. We don't do any other activities. But at the beginning it can take a while to warm up and you have to be brave and do the asking if you want to do some. I didn't always wait for the kids to arrange them.

jicky Thu 10-Sep-09 18:19:26

My ds3 has none, but we may go up to 1 on some weeks. But mainly because 2 nights a week we are busy with activities for ds1/ds2 and he really needs time at home chilling.

Doesn't seem that many playdates going on in his class - all the kids look zonked at pick up.

We have hung out at the park (while brothers do sport) and he finds someone to play with.

Couldn't cope with someone elses tired child having melt down during tea as well as my own.

oxocube Thu 10-Sep-09 18:28:13

I teach 5 year olds and they seem to at each other's houses all the time. My kids are older now (youngest is 7) but they have playdates about twice a week then have other activities such as sports on top. Bloody exhausting for me hmm

bigchris Thu 10-Sep-09 19:29:36

in reception ds had two friends over about twice each and went to there's the same amount of time

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 10-Sep-09 19:59:12

DS1 is in Year 1 now but last year most parents let their children have 1 playdate per week, either at their house or at the other child's.

Pitchounette Thu 10-Sep-09 20:10:05

Message withdrawn

MarshaBrady Thu 10-Sep-09 20:22:56

Thankfully it is very easy for ds, and for me, as there is a small park next to school and a fair few children play there after school.

Ds has already made good friends this way and I don't have to bother with playdates. So far!

chocolateshoes Thu 10-Sep-09 20:29:11

Last year lots but I think most of DS's year group are shattered after a full day in reception. Its probabyl a bit soon tbh. All DS wants to do is eat, drink & crash in front of Cbeebs for 20 mins at the moment. Think as th eterm progresses we'll get together maybe once a week with someone.

ABetaDad Thu 10-Sep-09 20:31:44

Never. They were abandoned in sent to after school care until 5.30 every night from their first day at school. Just like a playdate but more friends to play with and somebody else looks after them.

Celery Thu 10-Sep-09 20:33:32

None in reception, now in year one, and since the beginning of the summer holiday, maybe once a fortnight.

FairyMum Thu 10-Sep-09 20:36:57

None. They play with other children in the street but nothing organised. They go to after-school clubs a couple of days a week if that counts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now