Talk

Advanced search

DS (almost 3) has a squint (I think)

(19 Posts)
kwaker5 Thu 10-Sep-09 14:46:23

I think my DS might have a squint but I'm not sure. I don't think he has it all the time but often when he is tired. I know as babies grow they can go through phases as their eyes develop so will he just grow out of it?

Do I go to my GP about it?

Twinsmommy Thu 10-Sep-09 15:10:30

You need to speak with your HV. She can assess and refer you if you are worried.

marialuisa Thu 10-Sep-09 15:54:33

Get it looked at. We got our referral through the GP.

TigerFeet Thu 10-Sep-09 16:00:57

We went through our GP.

He said that he couldn't see a squint but referred us anyway, turned out dd did have a squint and 18 months later has glasses, patches and has had corrective surgery.

She was about the same age as your ds when we first noticed it, it too was intermittent.

Definitely go to your GP.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 10-Sep-09 16:03:01

DS1 has a squint, he was referred by the HV and seen by the orthoptist at local hospital. I think he was about 2 when we first noticed.

Definitely see your GP or HV and they will do a referral.

kwaker5 Thu 10-Sep-09 19:22:11

Thanks for those - they sound pretty unanimous! I will make a doctors appt.

Is it a problem that can be sorted out fairly easily then?

madwomanintheattic Thu 10-Sep-09 19:24:45

usually, yes. grin

but the earlier it's noticed and treatment starts, the better.

Seona1973 Thu 10-Sep-09 19:43:19

I noticed a squint when dd was about 18 months old. I went to the hv and she referred me to the orthoptist at the hospital. DD ended up being long sighted in both eyes and squinted with her left eye which also had poorer sight than the right eye. She had (and still has) glasses and also did some patching to improve the eyesight in the weaker eye. The eyesight is now fairly equal in each eye but she will always need glasses due to being long sighted. She also had an eye operation to correct the squint as it was still noticeable even with her glasses on. She got that just before she started school and is now 5.10 years. Problems with eyes can be corrected up till about the age of 7 as the eye is still developing, but it is best to get it checked as soon as you can.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 10-Sep-09 19:55:11

DS1 needed glasses when his squint was diagnosed, he's long sighted and the glasses helped to correct the squint. Then they did some patching which was fine. Then he had an op which was not great but they said it would help his vision.

I don't notice any difference TBH, I'm not sure the op has worked. He will probably always wear glasses but he's fine with that as are we and with his glasses on his squint isn't noticeable at all.

kwaker5 Thu 10-Sep-09 21:13:55

I don't want him to have to wear glasses forever though sad

Neither me nor DH wears glasses or have sight problems. I was told I needed them at 15 but never got them because I didn't feel I'd been examined properly. Had them checked out again at 18 and was told there was nothing wrong. Have had checks more recently (in my 30s) and have been told that I could wear if I wanted to but if any deficiencies aren't causing me a problem there is no need.

So I am a bit hmm at wearing glasses from such a young age.

I know I should get him checked out. Hopefully it's just my imagination wink

TigerFeet Thu 10-Sep-09 21:44:12

Wearing glasses really isn't so bad for children these days, assuming he will need them of course. Most of dd's friends were jealous of hers . I was upset about it at first, but her glasses haven't caused her any problems at all. She's long sighted and will need to wear them forever, but hopefully now her squint and lazy eye have improved she'll be able to wear contacts as an adult if she so chooses.

There's a great range of glasses in Specsavers that are free with the NHS vouchers. DD looks lovely in hers.

fishflange Thu 10-Sep-09 22:02:26

ds has been wearing specs since he was 12 months, it's not a biggie spec wearing at all (first name terms down specsavers as we break so many!)
Having a squint does not necessarily mean bad eye sight though. Although DS has a bad one and bad vision, the vision has dramatically inproved to near normal with the aid of patching and computer games!
He will be having a simple op to strighten out the muscle in the eye.
Don't despair, if it is diagnosed then as Seona says there's a big window of time to make a dramatic difference.
As a spec wearer of 30 years it's not held me back at all, so don't panic. Better specs than headaches, eyestrain and not being able to see the ball/pretty ladies etc

Seona1973 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:27:10

Neither me or my brothers/sister or dh's family wear glasses so it was a big shock when we found out dd had to have them. Now she doesnt look right without them on. She is getting a cool new pair of hannah montana frames in the next couple of days as her prescription has changed slightly.

ELongstocking Thu 10-Sep-09 22:30:31

I had a squint that started when I was around 3. I wore glasses and a patch at home in the evenings until I was about 10, and haven't had any problems since. Apart from when I am drunk I go cross-eyed, but hoefully that won't be a problem for your son for some time to come.

tryingherbest Fri 11-Sep-09 12:27:56

Yep, go to you gp for a referral.

ds at 1 looked as though squinting - got a referral 0 it wasn;t a squint but because dh and I wear glasses, he was kept in the system - at 2 years old he was given glasses and needs them all the time.

Get your little one an appointment.

littlebitlonely Sun 13-Sep-09 19:33:58

Sorry to jump on your thread, but I think I've got the same issue with DC at 12 months.

How on earth do they test a baby's eyesight? Stupid question I'm sure, but it's bothering me!

bigstripeytiger Sun 13-Sep-09 19:49:43

In a very young child they can check whether the child is short or long sighted by using the instrument that they use to look at the back of the eyes - it has a little dial on it that changes the magnification of the lens, and by moving it around until the vessels at the back of the eye are in focus then they can know how strong or weak the lens prescription would need to be, if that makes sense.

In a slightly older child they can also test by using cards - they will have a set of cards that show the same picture in different locations on the card, and by shuffling them about and watching the eye movements they can tell if the child is seeing it.

In an even older child they will show them pictures of objects and ask them to name them.

littlebitlonely Sun 13-Sep-09 19:55:35

Thank you Tiger.

Does a GP refer you, or do you go direct to an optician?

tryingherbest Sun 13-Sep-09 20:55:01

They also put in eye drops first which sting - and the darker the child's eye the more they have to use - my 3 year old has test cards to check if current glasses are OK and then about twice a year has to have the drops (which it takes two of us to hold him as he needs a bottle per very dark eye) to dilate the eyes and then they look into them with a light to get a prescription etc.

It's all quite fast - as the kids learn to talk there are more fun tests they can do which engage them.

We got our referral via the gp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now