Talk

Advanced search

how to deal with tantrums and whingyness in a nearly 5 year old....

(5 Posts)
mum2samandalex Thu 10-Sep-09 13:18:56

ds has just thrown a tantrum at my friends house and im mortified as i didnt know how to deal with it. He just started school last week and is obviousley tired plus its hot so i knew this was the cause to his whingyness. Trying to get him to understand that is a different matter. Sometimes he just cries over little things or gets stroppy if he doesnt get his own way. I will try and get down to his level and talk to him being nice, fair, then stern but the more he pushes away and cries.I try and reason with him but it never works it then turns to me shouting which makes him worse etc.Weve came home and ive sent him to bed.

Tortoise Thu 10-Sep-09 13:21:25

No advice, but i will be watching this thread.
My 6 yr old DD1 seems to constantly whinge, moan and tantrum! Can't cope with it ever single day anymore!

Cakesandale Thu 10-Sep-09 13:22:27

My advice would be to not pay it so much attention.

Completely ignore it. Don't even reply unless really pushed, then just say "Iwill speak to you when you have calmed down". If necessary, because he is really in your face, just move him out of the way.

Hard but effective.

mum2samandalex Thu 10-Sep-09 13:29:42

do you not just find though when other people are around theres more pressure on you like they are watching how you deal with it. Theres nothing worse then being with frineds and having a 4 year old whinging and crying and yet if i deal with it it causes more of a scene. I want to talk to him and rationalise and say look your tired take time out etc your over reacting. You just cant talk to them or compormise.They just push push.

mum2samandalex Thu 10-Sep-09 13:46:19

do you not just find though when other people are around theres more pressure on you like they are watching how you deal with it. Theres nothing worse then being with frineds and having a 4 year old whinging and crying and yet if i deal with it it causes more of a scene. I want to talk to him and rationalise and say look your tired take time out etc your over reacting. You just cant talk to them or compormise.They just push push.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now