Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 year old not wanting to let go

(4 Posts)
Else Thu 02-Jun-05 21:11:42

We both work and the child (5) haas always been left at nursery or with after school nanny, so he is well used to it. We work very regular hours and see him in the morning and eat together in the evening.
Over the last week, he cried every morning hysterically, held on to either parent and did not want to let go. He is absolutely freaked out and we don't know waht to do?
He says he just doesn't want us to go and all explanations won't help.

honeybunny Thu 02-Jun-05 21:21:45

Has something happened or changed at nursery? ds1 had a couple of v clingy days and it turned out he had a problem with another child always deliberately destroying his games/play. We had a chat about it, spoke with his teacher, advised him on what to do if it happened again and he was much happier. Anything going on at home that may have sparked this off?

Else Fri 03-Jun-05 10:15:45

He is in school and we asked if anything has happened there and also asked about the teacher, but he is very happy there.
There is a lot of bickering and arguing going on between my husband and me though, we are close to splitting up, so this could trigger it.
I need some practical advise how to handle the clinging on, as I need to go to work in the mornings and can't take time out.

Enid Fri 03-Jun-05 10:29:49

well. although he has always been left with the nanny etc if you are arguing a lot with your dh that will do it...

Can you take some time off to spend with him?

Do you reassure him about you and dh (that you both love him?)

can you try not to argue in front of him for a while?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now