Talk

Advanced search

Gosh not sure where to put this but need advice immediately- Children's toothpaste; DD won't abide "normal" stuff and is wretching

(16 Posts)
Jujubean77 Wed 09-Sep-09 19:23:18

it is not her being stubborn about brushing teeth. Stupid me just realising it is the TOOTHPASTE that she is totally intolerant to. her teeth are just not getting clean at all.

Are there any herbal/natural alternatives to children's toothpaste?

Mamazon Wed 09-Sep-09 19:24:30

most supermarkets do various flavoured ones. maybe you could try one of those

MatNanPlus Wed 09-Sep-09 19:25:31

Which are / have you tried?

nickschick Wed 09-Sep-09 19:26:29

I dont think the actual toothpaste is obligatory so long as the brush is moistened and used correctly.

Jujubean77 Wed 09-Sep-09 19:28:17

Yes have tried the fruity flavours but they make it worse.

I found the blandest "Milk Teeth" one but even that causes her problems. It is the sharpness of the mint I think she objects to - we had dietrey issues too not sure if that's connected.

I remember seeing ages ago, before I had her in fact, a herbal type toothpaste for kids but just can't find one anywhere now...

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 09-Sep-09 19:28:43

Message withdrawn

drivinmecrazy Wed 09-Sep-09 19:30:49

I have the same problem with 8yo DD1. She hates the minty stuff, but all the fruity ones I have found have been for milk teeth. Fine for 4yo DD2 but really want DD1 to use a paste for older teeth (or is it all just a marketing ploy??)

BonsoirAnna Wed 09-Sep-09 19:32:59

Tom's of Maine organic strawberry flavoured toothpaste is what DD likes.

Elmex for children is what our paed dentist recommends.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Wed 09-Sep-09 19:34:59

Health food shops usually sell 'natural' toothpastes - Welsda do one, and I think there's one called Tom's.

DS2 was always funny about this, until we discovered the apple flavoured one from Lidl.

He's just decided he doesn't like it, but is now happy to use regular paste.

Tidey Wed 09-Sep-09 19:38:36

My DC like the fruit flavoured one with sparkly bits in it from Sainsbury's. We tried several different ones because DS hates the taste of mint, but he's been using that for a couple of years now and is still happy with it.

The only natural alternatives I've seen suggested were baking soda and coconut oil. I'm not sure I like the idea of either one.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 09-Sep-09 19:39:49

DD has a fruit flavoured one. The only problem with it, is she does not want to stop brushing her teeth, keeps eating it and wanting more on it! But she has very very clean teeth!

CaptainScarlet Wed 09-Sep-09 20:47:39

Boots' own 0-2 (has a grinning shark on it) is v v mild- only has 250ppm fluoride. Not too expensive to try either unlike the herbal one i bought that dd refused to put in her mouth hmm

In fact- if you CAT me your address... you can have the tube, as it is still in the bathroom I think.

Jujubean77 Thu 10-Sep-09 08:47:57

Wow just got back to this - thank you all so much lots of great options here...x

Jujubean77 Thu 10-Sep-09 12:00:45

Oh thanks CS have CAT ed you x

MarmadukeScarlet Thu 10-Sep-09 12:05:07

I have a Tom's of Maine strawb one that you can have if you CAT me, barely used hmm.

DD now uses Colgate most basic one as the mint is not too strong.

DS still on Boots corcodile.

Jujubean77 Thu 10-Sep-09 13:31:06

Oh really Marm? That is really kind of you - I am just buying and trying and it is getting expensive! Will CAT you thanks again everyone x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: