Talk

Advanced search

When did your toddler drop their afternoon nap?

(43 Posts)
thereistheball Wed 09-Sep-09 17:32:01

DD is 23 months and has just gone her 2nd day in a row, and 3rd this week without an afternoon nap (instead she dropped off in her pram 5 minutes before we got home but then woke up and was full of beans). Yesterday evening she was very strung out, today is a bit better. I'd expected her to carry on with her nap for months yet, without having thought about it much. Is this about the right age for her to drop it?

thighsmadeofcheddar Wed 09-Sep-09 17:34:41

Pretty much on the dot of turning 2. She was ready.

crokky Wed 09-Sep-09 17:36:53

You are lucky she has lasted that long grin

My DD is only 17m and does not nap in the day anymore. My DS is 3.5 and he stopped before he was 2 as well.

I think it varies hugely, there are 4yos who still like a little nap and 1yos who don't!

Hulababy Wed 09-Sep-09 17:48:50

Before she was 2y, unless we went out in the car somewhere. Even at 7y she falls asleep in the car easily.

samsonthecat Wed 09-Sep-09 17:51:40

Mine is 2.3 and still has a 2hour nap every day. She can do woth out it if we are out though.

PrincessToadstool Wed 09-Sep-09 18:14:56

DS is 22 months and did not want to nap today. He usually has at least 90 minutes between 1 and 3ish but today he cried and said no, no when I put him in his cot. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

So I put a DVD on, got a blanket and had a cuddle on the sofa, hoping he'd drop off. He didn't. He got more and more hyper and head-butty and manic until finally at 3.30 he went to sleep. But I feel this is the beginning of the end.

<heavy sigh>

timmette Wed 09-Sep-09 18:15:23

At 3.5 although he did do without it when needed before.

thereistheball Wed 09-Sep-09 19:17:02

Thanks everyone. So my next question is, what do you do in place of the nap so that you don't end up with a very cranky toddler come tea time? I am trying to cut down on TV as she has been watching too much recently (has just become obsessive about ITNG).

lynniep Wed 09-Sep-09 19:19:06

he's in the process of doing it now and he's 2.5. some days he has one, some he doesnt.

MrFlibble Wed 09-Sep-09 19:19:49

When DS gave up napping I decided it was high time to lock myself under the stairs for an hour.

ShowOfHands Wed 09-Sep-09 19:22:27

13 months!

timmette Wed 09-Sep-09 19:23:45

To begin with I bribed him to lie on the sofa and watch a cartoon so he would rest, or put him to bed a bit earlier and adjusted these until he functioned fine without them.

londonlexi Thu 10-Sep-09 11:32:11

my 2.5 yr old still has a 1 hr nap every day

LissyGlitter Thu 10-Sep-09 11:38:01

my 2.5 year old has 1.5hrs every day, and is hard to wake up after that! She is a lazy little thing though, bless her. We put her down early today so she can go for her first dance lesson at 1.30, which would usually be smack bang in the middle of nap-time, so I hope she isn't grouchy!

mathanxiety Thu 10-Sep-09 15:44:48

18 months average for mine. Have photos of all of them asleep in their spaghetti 'n' meatballs at 6pm. grin

llareggub Thu 10-Sep-09 15:58:35

My DS is 2.11 and sleeps for 2 hours every afternoon. He does wake up at 6am though and nothing we do changes that. He is in bed by 7.30pm every evening too. I am very grateful for the break as he is very full-on.

GibbonInARibbon Thu 10-Sep-09 16:07:27

DD is 3 and still sleeps 2 hrs a day and cannot manage without it. She takes herself to bed after her lunch.

Seeline Thu 10-Sep-09 16:10:27

Both mine stopped at 18 months. I just put up with the crankiness - tried to go out most afternoons so that at least I wasn't locked in with them wink

mumofeve Thu 10-Sep-09 16:39:08

DD stopped just before 2.5. Went from 2 hours a day to nothing overnight shock! She is now 3 and we still suffer from stroppiness major tiredness in the afternoon and evenings. She refuses to go to bed in the day even if she is obviously shattered, but then quite comically will fall asleep ion random places around the house. Following a TV related tantrum this morning, she fell asleep face down on the dining room floor grin!

Broms Thu 10-Sep-09 17:37:44

My DS 21 mnths has btw 1 and 2 hr every day - he wakes at 4.45am each day though so no way we would get through it without - mind you he's a right pain won't sleep unless he's in the buggy in the day so I trop the streets around lunchtime until he's fast asleep - I need the break too by then though so dreading the day when he still wakes pre 5am and doesn't have a nap!

Re TV - my DS watches quite a bit - obessesed with Thomas - how much do people think is enough each day?

dinkystinky Thu 10-Sep-09 17:41:08

My DS1 is 3.5 and just like llareggub's boys - awake at 6 regardless, go go go all the time and in bed by 7 - and still needs an hour to an hour and a half nap most days. He's started to go maybe one or two days without the nap but the following day he is shattered and demanding bed by 6.30...

alittleteapot Thu 10-Sep-09 22:26:31

bang on 2 as well

plonker Thu 10-Sep-09 22:35:29

Dd3 is 2.2 and still has a good 1/1.5 hour nap around 1.00 ish. She can go without a sleep, but is an absolute nightmare come tea-time if she hasn't had one.

I don't know what age dd1 and dd2 stopped blush I do remember that dd1 was still having a sleep when she was at playgroup though (age 2.9) and that dd2 wasn't napping when she started playgroup (age 2.5).

tryingherbest Fri 11-Sep-09 11:24:39

My 3.4 year old still needs a nap - can only get to about 3pm without falling asleep which means bedtime is verylate - not good - he starts afternoon nursery next week which I hope will get him out of it - I can't be dealing with late (I mean 10.30pm bedtimes).

He's very active though.

PuppyMonkey Fri 11-Sep-09 11:28:38

I am nearly 43 and I could well manage a two hour nap per day myself!!! grin

DD1 napped happily until she was about 3.5, but DD2 dropped hers from around two. She'll still fall asleep in the car now if we are out and about, but she doesn't have one at home or at nursery/child minder any more (2.5yrs now). I prefer it that way as she is now completely ZONKED come 7.30pm bedtime. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now