Talk

Advanced search

Fetal distress linked to later behaviour/development issues? Professionals, please!

(9 Posts)
podsquash Wed 09-Sep-09 17:19:25

Just curious - my son (now 4.5) was distressed at birth and I wonder if it can have a lasting impact on behaviour...I won't go on about his behaviour here because I am generally interested in this.

BalloonSlayer Wed 09-Sep-09 17:32:55

This interests me too.

They always ask about the birth if you see a paediatrician for any child development issue, yet they never comment.

Scottie22 Wed 09-Sep-09 20:34:19

There is always the potential for fetal distress to have caused subtle brain damage e.g to the areas affecting behaviour - apparently boys are more susceptible.

My sister developed epilepsy as an adult and the first question they asked her was about fetal distress so I guess effects could be discovered long term.

Am also interested as ds was also distressed at birth and I've always wondered about the impact of this in general even without obvious brain injury...

cyberseraphim Thu 10-Sep-09 15:27:47

DS1 had high distress levels - and he has developmental problems but very hard to say if connected - 'Chicken and Egg' I suppose,

WowOoo Thu 10-Sep-09 15:31:54

Oh no! My two boys had this.

I suppose they can't really tell what happens to the child's brain in labour.Very interesting.

alypaly Thu 10-Sep-09 15:41:35

no.. my DS1 was in distress b4 they quickly removed him with very fast episiotomy and foceps. They had one of those scalp monitors on and his oxygen levels suddenly dipped ,so it was all stations go to get him out.He got 7 a stars and 2 a's at GCSE and 3 a's at a level. he is now a third year pharmacy student and set for a minimum of a 2.1 next year... It has definitely not affected him so try not to worry unless there is a noticeable problem now. And is it related to his birth?

eclipse Thu 10-Sep-09 17:44:34

I think foetal distress occurs when there is a drop in oxygen reaching the baby just before or during birth. When this is detected, the sooner the baby is delivered, the better. If foetal distress is prolonged or severe, the lack of oxygen may cause damage to the brain and this may effect later development. There are many variables involved so the detection foetal distress alone won't predict future outcome.
I'm by no means an expert in this and stand to be corrected.

hettie Thu 10-Sep-09 18:55:58

there are some psychological conditions for which problems during delivery can be a risk factor (for example Schizophrenia)BUT these are risk factors not a cause- plus they go along with other risk factors (for example another risk factor in Schizophrenia is the mother contracting flu during pregnancy, but the most influential is genetic ie if you have a parent with Schizophrenia). Teasing out why these are risk factors is an ongoing and tricky process. For example it may be that mothers who had difficult deliveries parent their newborn slightly differently and this is what sets the stage for later 'problems' or the genes that contribute to a problem also have an effect on somthing that effects delivery....Anything psychological tends to be a complicated blend of nature and nurture with lost of factors involved- sorry it's not a clear cut answer......

podsquash Fri 11-Sep-09 18:52:05

Thanks everyone, really helpful answers. Any more information welcome of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now