Talk

Advanced search

Ah night training 4yr old wee wee nightmare

(16 Posts)
spikemomma Tue 08-Sep-09 22:46:46

So my four year old was great at day potty training but is totally not getting dry through the night. Been trying for months and it's not happening. Has anyone else had the same prob?

Herecomesthesciencebint Tue 08-Sep-09 22:49:01

got a non dry at night 4 year old but not a problem! have not tried to train and TBH had no idea anyone did! do you not just wait until they happen to be dry most nights and then encourage a bit? thats what I plan to do. Its essentially down to a maturity thing surely and it seems a bit unfair to put pressure on when its largely out of their control?

lots of kids arent dry at night by 4 I think or am I misguided?

lilacpink Tue 08-Sep-09 22:49:36

I have a 3.5 yr old DD, not planning on trying to get her through the night for awhile yet, but interested in this thread for the future. So, bump for this thread!

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Tue 08-Sep-09 22:52:00

Dry-Nites Pyjama Pants are the way to go. I think being dry at night is something to do with a hormone that clicks off the wee 'switch' in the brain at night. There's nowt you can do about it and no health professional will even consider it as a potential problem until at least 8yrs old.

(DS still in Dry-Nites at 5yo)

Jajas Tue 08-Sep-09 22:54:45

My twins are 7 years old and still wet at night. Not worried or stressed about it as I agree nothing can be done to speed up the process.

MunkyNuts Wed 09-Sep-09 12:29:40

Think TimothyTigerTuppennyTail (phew!) is right, some kids get the magic wee switching off hormone earlier than others. My DD (4.5) is nowhere near ready to give up night nappies but DS (2.11) is almost there, I´d wait a bit longer. You could try the pull-ups and see if you can get your little one to get up in the night for a wee (either with a potty in the room) or light the way to the bathroom, or shout for help if you don´t mind being woken up. Otherwise I´d not pressurise or worry too much at this stage, you´ll just end up with a lot of washing and a stressed child.

lilacpink Wed 09-Sep-09 21:58:40

As per my last post, I was interested in the OP as was wondering when to start this too. Thanks for posts, I'm going to wait as long as it takes

spikemomma Wed 09-Sep-09 22:13:26

Thanks for responding. It's a weight off my mind. I wasn't too bothered about it until a few other four year old friends became dry through the night, which got me thinking as to what was normal.

Timothy TTT what is the difference between normal pull ups and the pyjama ones?

The washing is ok now, but in winter it's not going to be great.

It's very reasurring to know that they just take as long as they take.

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Thu 10-Sep-09 20:19:16

Sorry Spikemomma, I wasn't around much yesterday, so I didn't see your question.

The answer is simply that Dry-Nites are designed for older children. They do them in a size 4-7 years and a size 8-15 years.

spikemomma Thu 10-Sep-09 21:00:21

Thanks TTTT. x

tryingherbest Fri 11-Sep-09 12:19:16

with timothy on this one - think it'll happen when it happens.

My ds was dry at night from 12 months - and has been night nappy free since - however, was unable to potty train him until his was 3. One of those things.

mumeeee Sat 12-Sep-09 22:30:48

A lot of 4 year olds are still not dry at night. Just put her into dry nite pants and relax for a while. Bieng dry at night is completly disconnected to be dry during the day.

busybutterfly Sun 13-Sep-09 22:55:50

My 5 yr old is either in Dry Nites then he can sleep through, or pants and then I lift him twice (bed at 7pm, lift at 9.30 and 11.30) as he's such a heavy sleeper he doesn't wake up when he needs to go.

He prefers pants but will wear a "big boy nappy" quite happily.

mumeeee Sun 13-Sep-09 23:09:31

DD3 was under the enrusis clinic for a while, The advice from then was to never lift a sleping child as it actually encourages them to wee in thier sleep. If you really must lift them then you have to make sure they are fully awake before taking them to the toilet.

CarGirl Sun 13-Sep-09 23:12:41

To encourage the hormone you need to drink MORE during the day.

I works on adults too, stops those relentless night time wee trips.

busybutterfly Sun 13-Sep-09 23:29:12

(Should have said he wouldn't wake up by himself to go but I do wake him up when I take him.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now