Talk

Advanced search

ds strokes the face of children he likes - obviously most kids don't like it. Not sure how to deal with it.

(7 Posts)
deaconblue Tue 08-Sep-09 21:14:04

He's 3.4 and I think it started when dd was born and we encouraged him to touch her face gently (as a way of avoiding the over exuberant 2 yr old bashing). Now if he meets a child at the park and gets chatting he invariably ends up stroking their face. Most kids flinch thinking he's going to smack them, I guess. I've tried saying other children don't like it, to no avail. Wondering if I should teach him to touch their arm instead, as may be more socially acceptable.

MammaK Tue 08-Sep-09 22:32:54

Not really sure what to say in terms of advice, but did want to say that DS sounds like such a sweetie-pie!

TheWorstWitch Wed 09-Sep-09 09:58:16

What about your DS asking the child if they want to hold hands instead?

My 2 year old DD is small and consequently gets a lot of unwanted attention from other, often older, children (like stroking, cuddling, etc.) but if she likes the child she'll be happy to hold hands. I think because it makes her feel their equal. IYSWIM

deaconblue Wed 09-Sep-09 19:32:22

ah thanks MammaK. He is a lovely boy but does have a few weird idiosychncrasies (sp?). Good idea Theworstwitch, will try that. He had a trial session at pre school today and played with another little boy for ages without any face stroking, so maybe is a phase he's moving out of anyway.

nouveaupauvre Wed 09-Sep-09 21:10:50

ds went through a stroking children phase after being encouraged to stroke the dog (rather than whacking him, as was previously popular) and yes, other children did find it slightly creepy! we went heavy on explaining that its for dogs not children - can you try saying stroking is nice for babies but big boys and girls like him like holding hands (or whatever you deem appropriate)? we found it confused him if we just said people dont like stroking

totalmisfit Wed 09-Sep-09 21:28:03

aw bless, he sounds lovely. dd sometimes strokes my face and it makes a lovely change from being whacked or pinched. nothing to add to what others have said, but awww...

deaconblue Thu 10-Sep-09 10:09:03

another good idea, thanks. He really likes the idea of babies v big boys/girls so would understand that. Will try next time. Is lovely to have such a cuddly ds I have to admit, he strokes the back of my neck too when he's having a cuddle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now