Talk

Advanced search

Worried about 2 year old starting playgroup

(4 Posts)
zara1 Tue 08-Sep-09 20:57:20

My two year old is a happy confident chatty little thing, the problem i have is that, i have quite a few friends whose kids like to hit hit out and snatch etc, which i appreciate is normal toddler behaviour. However as much as my little one is wxcited about seeing new faces and wants to play with them she is quickly put off by as, she doesnt understand when other children hit out at take her toys etc and this often makes her run into a corner to go and play by herself and this happens all the time Im worried that my confident little bubba will lose this when she goes to nursery, as my friends tell me that she needs toughening up! personally i see it as her being a well behaved child who has been taught not to hit or snatch or there will be consequences. Am i being over sensitive..?? Any advice appreciated.

deaconblue Tue 08-Sep-09 21:09:02

mmm, tricky one. ds was also taught not to hit or snatch and there have always been consequence, however he was a terrible whacker from 2-3 yrs. Some kids are just gentler than others imo. Children will take stuff from her, and she'll find her own way of dealing with it but it'll be a confusing time at first for her.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Tue 08-Sep-09 21:19:50

A decent nursery will deal with children who hit, push etc.

But it is always going to be the case that children have to learn about sharing, not hitting etc through playing with their peers rather than through adult intervention, so I doubt the nursery staff will intervene every time one child takes a toy from another! This is perfectly normal, natural behaviour for 2 year olds who are learning about being assertive but also about sharing.

I don't think many parents would not try and teach their child not to hit/snatch but some children are just naturally more reticent than others. I'm sure your dd will soon learn to fight her corner!

zara1 Thu 10-Sep-09 21:29:28

Thank you for the advice, ive got some time before she starts nursery so i will spend the time doing some research. Thanks again X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now