Talk

Advanced search

Are these books o.k for an 8 year old ?

(31 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:33:37

Hi, my brothers step daughter is due to turn 8 next week. I thought about buying her some books by Alex Scheffler, the gruffalo, room on the broom etc. I read these to my daughter and she enjoyed listening to them too. I don't know if they are too young for her.

Smithagain Tue 08-Sep-09 19:34:35

I would check with your brother. They would definitely be too young for DD1 (age 7) and she's got them all already!

blametheparents Tue 08-Sep-09 19:37:29

Def too young, not suitable for an 8 year old.

Michael Morpurgo and Jeremy Strong can be good at this age. Not sure of girl specific books for this age as I have a DS, tho I do know that his friend enjoyed Charlotte's web

janeite Tue 08-Sep-09 19:39:29

Too young. Try something like Joody Moody, Pippi Longstocking or maybe one of the 'younger' Jaqueline Wilsons (although I personally don't much rate her) - perhaps Sleepovers. Charlotte's Web would be lovely; or Milly Molly Mandy.

mummyloveslucy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:39:34

She isn't a particularly intelligent child, I know that sounds awful but she did enjoy listening to them. She dosn't read very well at all.
I'm sure she hasn't got them, I'd have to check with my brother.

mrspnut Tue 08-Sep-09 19:39:49

Book tokens would be a better idea because then she can buy something she'll really want to read.

Those books are really too young for that age, and their reading likes and dislikes change so often at that age so it's hard to buy for them.

mummyloveslucy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:42:36

Oh yes, I remember Charlotte's web and Millie Mollie Mandy. They would be great. Thanks. smile

alittlebitshy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:44:28

she may be into the Rainbow magic series (there's about 80 of them plus specials). My dd has been reading thme since she was 5 but if the little girl isn't a brilliant reader they might be nice, and they will appeal to a girly girl...

mummyloveslucy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:47:01

Book tokens would be easier.

dizzymac Tue 08-Sep-09 19:47:18

My DD is 7 and LOVES the naughtiest girl in the school books. They are lovely to read aloud too.

mollymawk Tue 08-Sep-09 19:48:26

Or The Worst Witch?

mummyloveslucy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:50:27

Yes she is a very girly girl. I'll ask my brother what she's in to at the moment.

pippel Tue 08-Sep-09 19:50:38

The Ramona Quimby books are great

mummyloveslucy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:53:22

I used to love the worst witch. Do they still sell it?

LIZS Tue 08-Sep-09 19:53:41

Way too young . dd just turned 8 and loves Enid Blyton. The Book People often do series of books at a reduced price. This month's includes a selection of Rainbow Fairies, Naughty Little Sister and Jill Tomlinson animal books.

Mistymoo Tue 08-Sep-09 19:54:28

I loved Malory Towers or St Clements both by Enid Blyton when I was young. Not sure what age though. I loved Milly Molly Mandy too, my dd loves listening to the CDs, she is 6.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 08-Sep-09 19:54:43

Mummyloveslucy - if she is not a good reader but likes listening to stories, then why not get her an audio CD or even a book and CD package so she can read along with it? The Rainbow Fairy books do some I think.

LIZS Tue 08-Sep-09 19:55:11

Book People here Worst Witch is also there.

Hulababy Tue 08-Sep-09 20:23:06

Definitely too young I am afraid.

How about:

Magic Faraway Tree
Magic Tree House series
My Naughty Little Sister
Naughty Amelia Jane
Roald Dahl
The Owl who was afraid of the dark

janeite Tue 08-Sep-09 20:23:45

Yes to The Magic Faraway Tree.

CaptainNancy Tue 08-Sep-09 20:30:17

Maybe it was the rhythms she enjoyed? In which case a book of poetry might be a good starter?

mrshibbins Tue 08-Sep-09 22:10:17

get her some Jacqueline Wilson books - not the ones for older girls but try these:

Sleepovers
Best Friends
Double Act
The Suitcase Kid
The Cat Mummy

Sure hit with my DSD who just turned 8 - she loves them and has read them over and over.

choccyp1g Tue 08-Sep-09 22:13:55

I don't see how the Gruffalo can be too young for age 8. I first read it at age 44, and loved it.

Tidey Tue 08-Sep-09 22:17:19

I think Donaldson/Scheffler books are more for 4/5 year olds, much as I love them.

My favourites at age 8 were the Anastasia Krupnik series by Lois Lowry and Roald Dahl.

Clary Wed 09-Sep-09 00:36:10

Yes, too young, tho I do love them.

How about Secret 7 or any Enid Blyton; yes Michael Morpurgo (check the age level tho); Roald Dahl; or Naughty Little Sister. Or even Rainbow Magic tho my 8yo DD has more or less grown out of those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now