Talk

Advanced search

So today is the 2nd day DD has refused to eat lunch.

(9 Posts)
JackBauer Tue 08-Sep-09 15:37:12

She has moved from afternoon nursery to morning nursery (is 3.7) and is picked up at half 11 ish, last week I didn't give her anything to eat and it took ages to walk the half mil,e home wiht her draggin, whining, wanting to go in DD2's buggy etc etc and then she was 'too tired' to eat lunch. She ahd nothing except a mug of milk until tea.

Yesterday I took her a small handful of popcorn and then an hour later I put lunch on the table, spaghetti bolognese (leftovers, so I know she likes it)
Screams, wails, tears, begging for a cuddle and to get down.
She ate nothing. And nothing until tea.
Today I offered her a small banana flapjack after school thinking that it at least is healthy, she had one bite and handed it back so I thought lunch would be eaten.
Bacon omelette. You'd think I had offered her a dead slug on toast.
Not. One. Frigging. Bite.

Now she's hungryhmm She can damn well wait until tea!

But is this normal? Shoudl I offer food after school and not offer lunch or not offer anything, drag her home and then make lunch that won't get eaten.
Why have i got this horrible whiney weepy drama queen for a child all of a sudden!

JackBauer Tue 08-Sep-09 15:41:34

Sorry, 2nd day this week, she didn;t eat last week either!

FairyLightsForever Tue 08-Sep-09 16:33:20

could you have a sandwich with you when you pick her up?
Otherwise could you give her dinner or whatever leftovers you were going to give for lunch at 3:30ish when she's hungry and give her supper (banana or a sandwich) when she would be having dinner? More complicated Iknow, but at least she'd be eating all 3 meals then smile

mrshibbins Tue 08-Sep-09 17:49:52

i think you might find some useful views in this thread

JackBauer Tue 08-Sep-09 19:05:14

But I do have food for her when I pick her up! She hates sandwiches but loves her banana flapjacks and had a big bite but didn't want anymore.
We all eat tea at about 5ish so if I feed her at 3ish she won't eat tea and yet DH and DD2 and I will be eating it.
I want to try and keep it in a set meal thing as I have DD2 to think about, she is 1.11 and starting to show signs of fussiness, so I am stopping or cutting down on snacks as much as possible unless we are running round park or whatever.

Thanks for link. Off to revise!

Slubberdegullion Tue 08-Sep-09 19:15:48

ahh, mrshibbins got in with the link first smile
<waves>

teamcullen Tue 08-Sep-09 19:21:34

Does she have a snack in school? Maybe she isnt that Hungry if she does. How about sugesting a picnic after nursery on the way home over the next few days while the weather is going to be nice.

She might be doing it for a bit of attention while shes getting used to her new routine. I would try not to stress too much. If she is eating breakfast and tea, missing lunch for a few days wont do her any harm. Maybe leave the snack until after lunch, and then if she refuses to eat until 3pm, a banana or something simalar will keep her going until tea but wont spoil her appitite.

JackBauer Tue 08-Sep-09 19:41:47

They do have milk and some fruit, but not much (each child takes in 3 pieces of fruit to share throught the week).
I will try and be calm about her not eating, I am going to keep making her small amounts and sitting ehr down, even just to keep DD2 on track though, feeding them differently just causes no end of arguments!

teamcullen Tue 08-Sep-09 23:41:52

I think thats the best thing you can do. We have a child in nursery at the moment (20mths) who is refusing to eat her lunch. Her mum said shes basically standing over her badgering her to eat. She said she knows shes making the problem worse but cant seem to stop herself as she worried. We are just trying to encougage her and those around her with lots of praise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now