Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever told off your child's friends?

(27 Posts)
Mosschops30 Thu 02-Jun-05 15:01:00

Message withdrawn

suzywong Thu 02-Jun-05 15:02:31

don't be worried, it's the most basic primal instinct to protect your child from physical attacks and be grateful you have that instinct

madmarchhare Thu 02-Jun-05 15:04:02

I do it all the time!

beansmum Thu 02-Jun-05 15:05:25

I try and bite my tongue in most situations but when another child is violent you can't help yourself really!

Kelly1978 Thu 02-Jun-05 15:05:34

yep, all the time, and also to protect my home as well as my dkids!

flobbleflobble Thu 02-Jun-05 15:18:39

I think it's a good idea to tell off your dd's friends for poor behaviour - but preferably only in a calm and measured way

PrettyCandles Thu 02-Jun-05 15:20:03

How did the girl's mother react? If she's not bothered by your telling her daughter off, then neither should you be. If she is, then you need to tell her that you won't allow people to assault your daughter and either she controls her daughter or you will. (But perhaps a little more diplomatically than that.) Either way, I don't think you did anything wrong at all.

Enid Thu 02-Jun-05 15:24:15

yes

and the little girl burst into tears

webmum Thu 02-Jun-05 15:26:14

I try not to if the mum's present, unless they something very bad and the mother ignores them (but never been in such a situation!) but if I'm in charge of them I treat them as mine.

Mosschops30 Thu 02-Jun-05 15:28:20

Message withdrawn

Enid Thu 02-Jun-05 15:30:52

just in case you think I am a horrid witch, the little girl in question whispered to dd "I am not going to play with you today and I am going to tell everyone else not to play with you either". So I leant over and said "x that is a horrid thing to say, don't say things like that" then I said to dd1 " dont worry, x was being silly and she didnt mean it"
x promptly burst into floods of tears.

drama queen

Mosschops30 Thu 02-Jun-05 15:34:02

Message withdrawn

suzywong Thu 02-Jun-05 15:34:07

you know I have to say I think us English are the only people who worry about this, every other culture people just get on with it and don't worry about it as long as the behaviour is addressed.

assumedname Thu 02-Jun-05 15:34:31

I would tell her off for squeezing your dd's neck, same as for hurting her anywhere else.

But, I would also have a talk with her/her mother about how dangerous it could be to hurt certain parts of the body, eg, neck, head.

Mosschops30 Thu 02-Jun-05 15:34:39

Message withdrawn

Enid Thu 02-Jun-05 15:35:42

well thats ok mosschops.

I personally wouldnt have threatened though.

but thast me, a pussycat really

suzy if you read this I am not ignoring you on msn but cant use my pc at home for a week or so (builders)

Mosschops30 Thu 02-Jun-05 15:36:48

Message withdrawn

suzywong Thu 02-Jun-05 15:36:48

yeah right, you cyber tease enid

Enid Thu 02-Jun-05 15:38:45

wong:

mossy - honestly I wouldnt worry. she sounds poisonous.

mancmum Thu 02-Jun-05 15:48:34

if my kids were being attacked and their parents' were not doing anything to stop it, hell yes I would tell them off... no one gets away with hurting my kids... I have real problems with parents too pathetic to discipline their kids -- if they can not do it, I am more than happy to do it for them... if they don't like it, then how could you be friends with them in the first place if they are allowing their kids to be so awful? I have to say I have lost a couple of friends since we became parents as I have found it impossible to cope with their attitudes towards their feral kids and no longer enjoy being with them as never relaxed..

madmarchhare Thu 02-Jun-05 16:07:49

feral kids

vess Thu 02-Jun-05 19:30:37

Hate telling off other children and won't do it if I can help it... however, there's some potentially dangerous things that just shouldn't be done, and I feel that, if nobody else is doing it, I just have to do it, even if my ds is not involved at all. Squeezing somebody by the neck falls into that cathegory.
Last time I've done it, I had to yell at ds and his friends, who were about to start throwing stones at each other...talk about feral kids!

Twiglett Thu 02-Jun-05 19:34:13

why should you bite your tongue

you are the adult she is a child and needs correcting especially when exhibiting violent and downright dangerous behaviour

I have no qualms in telling any of DS's friends off and they tend to behave beautifully when I'm around

Furball Thu 02-Jun-05 19:34:30

not really told off anybody elses kids but I do say to them 'thats not very nice. is it?' if something nasty is going on. Usually the mother then steps in and does the rest.

Twiglett Thu 02-Jun-05 19:37:37

reminds me of one of my sisters, and not the mad one either who found out that a kid at school had been having a go at her youngest (when he was around 7)

on about the 3rd or 4th report of bullying she cornered said child (son of a friend) in the playground and hissed 'if you ever dare raise a hand to xxx again or even talk nastily to him you will have ME to deal with'

supposedly that was the end of the bullying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now