Talk

Advanced search

DS weight & height - is this right?

(14 Posts)
SnowieBear Sun 06-Sep-09 15:59:18

My DS is 3.6 and the fit as a flea. I took him to the scales yesterday at the chemist and his weight was 18.4kg (2st 12lb in old money...). He is approximately 100cm tall (3ft 4in).

He has always been a large boy, but there's not an ounce of fat in him, although he's never lost his little Budda tummy. He's very active (gosh, there's no keeping him still for two seconds!) and his diet is healthy, with lots of home-made nosh, fruit and plenty of veg.

According to the NHS BMI calculator, he is obese based on that diet. Ignore, fret like mad, or contact HV for a second opinion?

SnowieBear Sun 06-Sep-09 16:00:33

I meant he is obese based on that data. grin

ThisBoyDerekDrew Sun 06-Sep-09 16:01:09

I don't think you can calculate an accurate BMI for a child, and the ranges which are in each category (norma, overweight, obese etc.) are certainly different for a child.

SnowieBear Sun 06-Sep-09 16:03:49

Thanks, I've always been of the same opinion as you, but they've been publicising this NHS one and it seems to take account of both gender and age, so it freaked me out a bit.

PinkTulips Sun 06-Sep-09 16:08:57

muscle weighs more than fat.

if he's very active his muscles will be carrying alot of weight even though he's thin.

that's why bmi is a load of bollox, most athletes come up as obese grin

ThingOne Sun 06-Sep-09 16:19:57

I thought it was fairly standard that BMI doesn't work for children?

Does he still have "toddler fat" on his arms and legs, with creases at ankles and wrists? I would have thought this was probably a good indication of whether he was a bit podgy.

Where does he come in the charts in the red book?

If after that it looks a bit out of kilter I'd talk to your HV.

How many gregg's sausage rolls does he eat wink?

mumofeve Sun 06-Sep-09 16:22:35

According to my DS's growth charts, 18.4kg at 3.6 puts your DS on the 91st centile. My DD (3.1) has been on the 91st centile since she started on solids and I've always been told not too worry by the HV. I think 3 is a funny age for weight, cos my DD looks really quite thin to me, but some of her friends are REALLY skinny so I suppose its all relative. IMO you can tell by looking at your child if they are overweight, and it seems that your LO is fine.

Ceebee74 Sun 06-Sep-09 16:26:40

I have just inputted your DS's stats into a BMI calculator for children - it says he is on the 92nd percentile and 'at risk' of becoming overweight - certainly not obese.

The adult's BMI calculator does not work for children!!

here is the link for you smile

MayorNaze Sun 06-Sep-09 16:32:47

oh bollocks, it really is. dd is 3.4, she weighs 3 stone. to look at, a grasshopper would weigh more. don't worry

SnowieBear Sun 06-Sep-09 17:23:09

Thanks for all the good advice! He's always had the look of a mini-prop forward about him so he doesn't look skinny, just like a nice tot, but honestly, he is solid as a rock - no fat about him, no creases in the ankles or wrists as you ask Thing One.

Re: sausage rolls grin, they don't get past this mummy! I cook for him lean meat or fish with pasta or rice and plenty of veg, he loves fruit and has three balanced meals a day.

Ceebee, thanks for the calculator this is the one I tried.

bigTillyMint Sun 06-Sep-09 17:28:28

My friends son was the michelin baby and toddler - was off the scale for height and weight, and at 3 I could barely lift him onto a chair.

Now he is 9 and is average-ish height and rangy like his daddy!

Don't worry if he eats healthy child-size portions and does loads of exercise - he'll be fine smile

ThingOne Sun 06-Sep-09 20:20:05

I have a very very mini rugby player too. Only mine is the shape of one of the running ones but sadly never going to be tall enough. He's 3.4 and on about 25th centile for weight against shady area for height but there is no way he is "fat".

No sausage rolls? No, none here either! But I do think he needs full fat milk as he's so muscly and so active.

SnowieBear Mon 07-Sep-09 12:29:37

ThingOne - yup, it's full fat milk at ours too with healthy cereal choices in the morning, and a little mini-mug before bedtime most evenings.

BTW - should we start our own rugby team? It seems we have enough toddlers of the right persuasion about.

ThingOne Mon 07-Sep-09 18:24:41

Great idea. Should tire them out just a little bit more, which is always a good thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now