Talk

Advanced search

Please help- 12 month old making nappy changing an absolute nightmare

(8 Posts)
Nezzi Sun 06-Sep-09 13:48:44

My DS has just turned 1 and changing his nappy has turned into a major chore.
He screams and cries at the top of his voice and won't keep still. He's been wriggling around for months but the screaming is a new & very unwelcome addition. Distractions only work for 5 seconds. If DP is home we do it together but if I'm on my own it takes ages. If I'm out & using a changing table I'm constantly worried that he is going to fall off it!
Any suggestions or advice?

Meglet Sun 06-Sep-09 13:55:37

I get the same from my dd. She is awful during nappy changes. The only thing I can suggest is a 'forbidden toy' might help. Think, keys, old remote controls, old mobile phones etc. But even they only keep her amused for a short while. It gets better, honest [weak smile]. My ds also went through the same nightmare stage at about 12 months, he's a dream to change these days.

BertieBotts Sun 06-Sep-09 13:59:13

My DS does this as well. Use pull-ups - they are FANTASTIC as they mean I can change him standing up. I never would have thought of this if it wasn't for MN, because I always thought they were for potty training, but they are fine and I even use them overnight.

Poos are a bit tricky but luckily he only does one about once a day so the trade off of the rest of the nappy changes being hassle free is so worth it (for poos I let him pull every wipe out of the wipes packet so that he stands still and try to do it in the bathroom so I can wipe the floor clean/shove him in the shower if necessary!! Then I rescue the wipes and push them back into the packet through the little hole)

tassisssss Sun 06-Sep-09 14:03:46

my 15 month old does this. singing helps a bit as does giving her something to hold, but generally we pin her and get on with it ignoring the fuss (which stops the instant it's over!)

Nezzi Sun 06-Sep-09 14:05:24

Toys only work for a few seconds although I haven't tried the 'forbidden' variety.
As for pull-ups, what a great idea, I might give that a go when I finish this pack of nappies. Pushing wipes back through the hole, oh the joy wink

Nezzi Sun 06-Sep-09 14:10:35

Glad I'm not alone in this, I've tried the singing and it works for a moment or two then the screaming starts again.
The looks I got a couple of days by the seaside, the customers must of thought I was trying to kill him!

Nezzi Sun 06-Sep-09 14:33:14

The forbidden remote control just worked, I don't believe it! Not a sound. Thank you Meglet!

Meglet Mon 07-Sep-09 09:15:26

Hurray! Do you have a treasure basket (Google 'treasure basket' for ideas) of bits + pieces? I think anything grown up or forbidden keeps them quiet for a minute or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now