Talk

Advanced search

Any SALTs out there? At what age do I start worrying about no talking.

(5 Posts)
LolaLadybird Sun 06-Sep-09 08:28:28

DS is 21 mths and really only says one word which is DD's name (but this is a v simple 2 syllable word). Doesn't say mama/dada etc. He does babble quite a lot and is v communicative in other ways so often makes himself understood. Also, I have no concerns about his hearing because he understands most things I say to him.

DD was already repeating words at a year old and seems to have not stopped talking since (she's now 4).

I'm not worried about DS's lack of speech yet (she says tentatively!) but wondering at what point I should be visiting the HV to seek some help?

lost4words Sun 06-Sep-09 08:34:45

I'm sure someone will be along in a mo who would have something more useful to say, but FWIW my youngest sister was a late developer in terms of talking. Our mum was told at the time that it was because she is very close in age to one of the middle sisters, who could understand what the little one wanted without her having to use "proper" words, so there was little incentive for her to try very hard and she didn't!

could it just be that your DS is similar? especially given that he is able to make himself understood in other ways?

lingle Sun 06-Sep-09 21:44:33

I suggest you repost this in special needs where some salts lurk.

But the rule of thumb is: if his non-verbal communication is good, he understands what you say, and he doesn't appear to have problems using his mouth muscles, then you probably don't need to worry.

You say he is communicative in other ways. How does he tell you what he wants? (eg if he wants some juice and knows it's in the fridge but can't say the word "juice"?).

LolaLadybird Sun 06-Sep-09 22:31:39

Lingle - thanks for the heads-up on reposting. A lot of his communication is about pointing and me just becoming quite tuned in to what he's likely to want. Often he comes to find me and takes me by the hand to show me what he wants. Frequently, however, I'm not sure what exactly he wants which is really frustrating - with the fridge example, he would point to the fridge making 'ugh ugh' noises but I would have to guess what exactly in the fridge he was after.

He doesn't appear to have problems using his mouth muscles but has little interest in repeating words back. V occasionally I think he tries but it doesn't sound much like the word I've said, like he has trouble making the sound.

Lost4words - its a valid point about him being understood as we've all become fairly tuned into his way of communicating and also DD talks so much, some people have suggested he might start to make more of an effort now that she is starting school and will be around less.

lingle Mon 07-Sep-09 08:40:22

I think that what you've described above would count as good non-verbal communication smile

ask in SN about any suspicions that he has trouble making the sound (it's probably age-appropriate but I've never had to research this area).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now