Talk

Advanced search

19 month old saying "naughty" over and over

(12 Posts)
pamelat Sat 05-Sep-09 12:46:27

My 19 and a bit month old DD is very active, strong willed, independent, lovely, funny and feisty.

She goes to nursery 3 days a week and they tell me she is always fine.

She has started to say her name, lets say XX, and say "XX naughty" over and over and start laughing and even say "XX naughty, is funny".

She tends to do this whilst running away from me, little madam. Love her to bits though.

Anyway just found out I am pregnant so need to start becoming a little more disciplined with her.

I rarely tell her she is naughty. In fact now I try to say "no XX is not naughty, she is a good girl" and I try to show its the behaviour (not her) that can sometimes be naughty but she still seems to take pleasure in calling herself naughty

Is this unusual? I appreciate its all about boundary testing but I think I need to set stricter ones?

I tried the "time out step" and the problem was she loved sitting on it and refused to come back in! Any ideas?

meandjoe Sat 05-Sep-09 16:39:35

Hiya congratulations on the pregnancy!!!

Not sure if it's normal but my ds does it too, he just turned 2. I rarelytell him he's naughty and he doesn't go to nursery so I know he's not hearing it anywhere else. He seems to do things he knows are naughty though, like tipping a drink over, then says 'Joe's bein naughty' sometimes he tells me I am naughty too and says I need to go to the naughty step blush. To hear him talk you'd think he gets told off all day long... hereally doesn't honest! Not sure why he says it really.

Anyway, good luck with the pg and everything else!

kathyis6incheshigh Sat 05-Sep-09 16:51:42

There's an interesting bit in this book about how children find the concept of naughtiness really intriguing - up until that point they have assumed that what you want and what they want are pretty much the same, so it is fascinating to them to discover that sometimes your desires are actually sometimes different from theirs! The authors of the book would say she isn't being deliberately naughty when she runs away from you, she's carrying out a scientific experiment on you to see if you really don't like the things she likessmile.
I am 100% sure it's normal, I can't remember exactly what mine did at that age but I know they were fascinated and amused by the concept of naughtiness!

crokky Sat 05-Sep-09 17:20:09

My 17m DD sounds like yours. She does stuff she knows she's not allowed to do and then says "NO! NAUGHTY!" and then laughs about it.

Wonderstuff Sat 05-Sep-09 17:32:51

My dd sounds exactly the same as yours pamelat I opened this thread because I am a bit concerned about dd saying the same. We very rarely say she is naughty and they don't use the word at nursery (there she is picklish - or rather shows pickleish behaviour) grin DD is now 21mo and has moved from naughty to sorry, over and over, even when she hasn't done anything wrong.

Kathy that is really interesting, never thought of it like that.

We have a biting problem at the moment, we tend to sit her in a corner with her back to us and make a fuss of the person who has been bitten. Sometimes this seems to have the desired effect, sometimes she thinks its hilarious hmm

beesonmummyshead Sat 05-Sep-09 18:19:09

dd has just turned 2 and was just like this at 19/20 months. Now she screams at me "don't touch it, or i'll take it off you". they are words I use to her, but not in such a hostile, shouty way blush. Am desperately hoping no mumsnetters are around judging me, and assuming that I speak to my child like that grin

Hollyoaks Sat 05-Sep-09 18:25:50

Wow, she sounds exactly like my 19mo dd. She will do something naughty like stand on the settee, wait till she's got our attention and then laugh at us and scream 'no, no, no, no' over and over.

It's hallarious (sorry about the sp.) but we try not to laugh. grin. Anyway, I think it sounds like pretty normal behaviour to me. Congratulations on your pregnancy, hopefully I won't be too far behind you.

pamelat Sat 05-Sep-09 19:31:08

meandjoe - thank you. I think you have often replied to my threads about my monkey of a daughter blush thank you.

Interesting about the liking and dislike differences, it almost makes "naughty" behaviour seem quite cute, although I must remember not to laugh or encourage it. It is sometimes amusing but sometimes embarassing, and yes like you (bees) I worry that others must think poor child always being told that she is naughty

Thank you all for replying. Interstingly (also) she has started also saying "X sorry" and "mummy sorry" quite a bit too, but this hadnt caused me the same concerns as the "naughty" thing so I guess she is just learning about all interactions? Who knows.

I could do with a book on this parenthood lark! Its a steep learning curve isnt it smile.

pamelat Sat 05-Sep-09 19:32:09

Good luck on preg Hollyoaks. We only found out 2 days ago.

Hollyoaks Sat 05-Sep-09 19:37:20

Thanks Pamelat but not pg yet, still trying but hopefully will be there soon. Was your dd born in January 08?

pamelat Sat 05-Sep-09 19:42:58

Yep on the 17th.

My new due date is apparently 11 May, our wedding anniversary is 12th so (fingers crossed) we could end up sharing that special date with our new addition.

Hollyoaks Sat 05-Sep-09 20:17:01

My dd is the 29th so very close in age, its good to share experiences and know that they aren't the only ones with the crazy behaviour.

Congratulations again on the new baby. We have just had our wedding anniversary yesterday and are hoping to have concieved then. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now