Talk

Advanced search

3.2 year old - how long is too long for computer playing?

(7 Posts)
Ceebee74 Fri 04-Sep-09 21:15:13

DS1 loves playing on the computer - usually the Cbeebies website or a Thomas PC game that we have.

He can play quite happily by himself as he has excellent understanding and control of how the mouse works/can click and drag etc and he loves doing it.

Also, he is very demanding of my attention and it is the only thing he doesn't require me for so it gives me a little break.

I know he obviously shouldn't be on for too long but how long per day is ok?

Oxymoronic Fri 04-Sep-09 22:11:05

If it distracts him for a while, until he gets bored? At three this isn't going to be that long surely, if he's been on there for 6 hours straight, prob time to prise him off grin only joking, I'm sure you'd notice if it was having an adverse affect on him.

Acinonyx Fri 04-Sep-09 22:26:03

Oxy - you'd be surprised! Dd was the same - very demanding but adored screen time. She's just turned 4 and started at around 2.5. Personally I limited it to 30-60 mins max depending on TV time as well. Not sure that longer is good for her eyes as much as anything else.

LadyHooHa Fri 04-Sep-09 22:28:04

Well, my DS is 7.5 and he gets 30 minutes per day on the computer if he has earnt enough stars on his chart (which means he can go for several days, nay weeks, without any screen time at all!)

I personally think three year olds should be doing something else, but I am old fashioned.

NightShoe Sat 05-Sep-09 21:41:37

I agree with acinonyx, my DD is very good on the computer too, but I limit it to 30-60 minutes max and make sure she has lots of varied activities too. However, I am of the school that learning computer skills is valuable in this day and age having been brough up on a Spectrum ZX grin

NightShoe Sat 05-Sep-09 21:41:55

DD is also 3.2 BTW

Ceebee74 Sat 05-Sep-09 21:46:44

Thanks for the advice

Nightshoe I agree with you that I feel computer skills are invaluable these days so I should be encouraging DS1 on the PC but I also realise it should be limited.

Oxymoronic I think the longest I have left him so far is about 40 minutes and he was showing no signs of boredom by then (by 'leaving him' I mean not sitting over his shoulder and watching him although obviously I go back and check he is ok regularly)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now