Talk

Advanced search

Can someone tell me about dummies please? Bad for teeth? Dilemma with DD 20 months.

(7 Posts)
itsalwaysthequietones Fri 04-Sep-09 20:18:52

DD, aged 20 months, has only ever really had her dummy for 'emergencies' like going on a plane or v long car journeys or for when we're out and my Mum absolutely can't get her to settle in her cot. She's got into the habit over the past few months of having it for her lunchtime nap otherwise she really cries about going to sleep and she's so much happier when she's had a good nap.

Now, we've just been on holiday, which involved a big long car journey up to Scotland and her having the dummy more than usual - for any long stretches in the car when she was getting really fed up and also for going to bed at night in a travel cot in strange houses etc

Now that we're back she's obsessed with the dummy, asking for it all the time and demanding it when she goes in her cot at night otherwise she really gets upset. I'm worried about having real issues weaning her off it when she's older and I'm also worried that it might not be good for her teeth - she's got pretty much a full set now.

Having said that, she never has it when she's up and about and it gets her to sleep sooo very fast (literally her eyes start to droop the minute she puts it in her mouth). Also, I generally take it out once she's asleep. If it makes life so much easier, can it really be that bad grin?

So, what's the verdict? Am I making a rod for my own back later or do they self-wean from dummies? And is it bad for her tooth development?

Thanks v much ladies - sorry this has ended up being so long.

Scottie22 Fri 04-Sep-09 21:00:57

My dd is 27 months and has a dummy and I asked about it at our last trip to the dentist expecting a lecture from him. Dentist was quite relaxed about it though and said as long as not used all the time was not a problem at this stage.

My dd is the same and has become quite obsessed with it but it really relaxes her so am reluctant to take it away - I do limit it though. When we are ready I'm going to cut a hole in it as advised by someone on here!!!

dogofpoints Fri 04-Sep-09 21:04:43

They are better for teeth and palate than a thumb, so dentists ssay

lovemygirlme Fri 04-Sep-09 21:32:53

My 3 year old daughter had a dummy alot, a cherry one, her teeth came through and were pushed up by it so she had a circle blow hole in her front teeth,i was gutted! when she was 2.5 yrs I told her the dodi fairies were coming to take them to give to the new babies, I took it out while she was asleep and left her 2 books as a present with a fairie note, she loved it, and has never asked for them since and has had no effect on ger sleeping or settling at all, plus her teeth all came down so are now perfectly straight...yipee!!

itsalwaysthequietones Sat 05-Sep-09 08:37:26

thanks ladies - v helpful. Scottie - what's with cutting a hole in it?! I guess it just doesn't feel good in their mouths any more?

Am expecting another baby in Feb so trying to avoid anything that will upset her around that time so I guess if we're going to get rid of it it'll have to be a long time before or a long time afterwards...

lovemygirlme wow - I didn't realise they could have such a big impact, DD has her front teeth already and they seem fine was just worried about them maybe being pushed forwards or something. Fab that your DD learnt so quickly how to settle without it anyway.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback y'all.

Marne Sat 05-Sep-09 08:52:43

My 3 year old still has a dummy (at night and in the car) and has perfectly straight teeth.

itsalwaysthequietones Sat 05-Sep-09 09:41:44

cool - thanks, Marne - that's v reassuring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now