Talk

Advanced search

Getting dressed on their own - when can little girls manage their own tights?

(13 Posts)
BonsoirAnna Fri 04-Sep-09 11:57:12

DD (4.9) is pretty good at getting dressed and can manage everything except laces, tricky zips (which are avoidable) and tights (which are not).

When will she be able to put her on own tights on with ease?

BonsoirAnna Fri 04-Sep-09 12:05:30

belgo Fri 04-Sep-09 12:07:34

DD2 is four next month, and she asked for a bit of help with her tights this morning. DD1 is five and a half and can manage them herself.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 04-Sep-09 12:10:09

Can't really comment as daughter first encountered tights aged 6, but,I've seen girls of 5 manage without help. Practice is possibly the key, or, familiarity. Here in Switzerland tights are essential in winter.

BonsoirAnna Fri 04-Sep-09 12:10:42

Thanks Belgo!

She is just going into the third year of maternelle and will get into big trouble at school if she has to ask for help in dressing. I have only bought clothes I am 100% she can manage with ease (long sleeved t-shirts, elastic waisted skirts, velcro-fastening shoes, buttoned coat...) - it's just the bleeding tights she can't get her toes into on her own!

I live in hope.

BonsoirAnna Fri 04-Sep-09 12:11:33

Tights and winter boots are essential here in Paris - it's quite cold, and all children walk to and from school and play outside a lot.

She can manage her boots just fine.

belgo Fri 04-Sep-09 12:12:55

What about leggings? Or are they a style faux pas?grin

BonsoirAnna Fri 04-Sep-09 12:14:35

They aren't allowed (school uniform here!)

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 04-Sep-09 12:19:15

I have a job putting on my own damn tights. smile

DD wore tights to school from reception onwards, I know that the assistants never helped them get changed after PE etc. So she has managed tights from when she was just coming up to 5. She did come home with them on inside out many times.

FWIW I found that thick ribbed tights were a lot easier for her to put on than the smoother tights, they seemed less, um, tight.

mathanxiety Fri 04-Sep-09 15:18:21

Buy them a bit big and teach her to stretch them out well. They're much easier to deal with when they're a bit loose, plus they will go up all the way. Thicker tights do work better, even though they are bulkier for little hands to handle. And they are much warmer, and usually made of cotton or cotton blend.

BonsoirAnna Fri 04-Sep-09 15:21:51

She's got five lovely new pairs of winter tights - maybe she'll manage better with those than with her year-old ballet tights (which I have been measuring her progress on this summer!).

ItsAllaBitNoisy Fri 04-Sep-09 15:27:41

I found some tights were looser and easier to pull on. Once my DD figured out that once she had got her toes in, she had to pull everything up from her ankles, then from above her knees and then the waist, she was fine.

For awhile she was sporting the attractive gusset just above knees look as she was only remembering to pull them up from the waist.

belgo Fri 04-Sep-09 16:34:55

I wish my girls had a school uniform. It's a battle every morning getting them to wear something appropriate for school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now