Talk

Advanced search

Help! We are just sitting here in the car!

(5 Posts)
dbyrne Fri 04-Sep-09 09:11:13

Our just turned 3 year old daughter started daughter yeaterday and got on ok apart from some tears at the end when we came to pick her up.

Its her first time away from a family member and she is the youngest in her class so it must have been daunting for her.

I'm sending this from my iPhone because we are stuck in the car outside the school because she is hysterical and is screaming the car down. "I dont want to go" "dont leave me"

I've put in a call to the school to come out and help but they are obviously busy getting the kinds registered etc.

By the time I read your replies hopefully I will have spoken to someone but I would aprpeciate some help from those of you that have gone through this before

Help please!

Don
:-(

rubyslippers Fri 04-Sep-09 09:16:15

go in and stay with her - hang her coat up and take her to the classroom

make a big fuss of what a great time she will have with her new friends

the teachers will have seen it all before and know what to do to help her and you

Crapweasel Fri 04-Sep-09 09:16:34

Pre-school? Do you need to leave her (ie is there somewhere you need to be)?

If not, can you just ride out the storm and then either take her in for a few mins, see if she settles and if not take her home.

DD has been in nursery since she was 8m so don't have exact experience but we've had our shares of tears etc. I've always managed to get her left and she's calmed pretty quickly but if you are in a position for a softly, softly approach I'd take it.

Good luck!

MrsMagnolia Fri 04-Sep-09 09:49:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oneofmany Fri 04-Sep-09 09:57:15

Hope she has settled in a bit. My dd1 is 3.4 and started pre-school on Tuesday, having never spent time away without a family member before either. She went in fine but like your had a few tears when parents starting coming to collect as I wasn't the first one there.
On Wednesday she got really upset when I tried to leave, really begging me to stay or to take her home. A teacher just gently guided her to a table and sat down with her and got her interested in something while I went outside with another staff member.
We could see dd but she couldn't see us and after about 2 minutes she stopped crying and was playing happily when I left 5 minutes later. She did cry a few tears later in the morning but nothing the staff couldn't handle.

Best of luck grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now