Talk

Advanced search

Pocket money - the solution to ds' pestering?

(5 Posts)
tiredandgrumpy Wed 02-Sep-09 22:33:30

I have had a second day of ds nagging constantly about how he wants a particular toy (different each day). He had a 15 minute howling fit this afternoon. I am worn down by it and think pocket money rigorously enforced is probably the option.

What is the going rate for a 5 year old and what would it cover? (magazines, sweets, toys etc)

Any hints as to how to introduce it? At the moment he thinks it's ok to spend money as when you pay for something in a shop, the assistant gives us more money (ie the change). He's a very bright kid, so am hoping he picks up the idea quickly, but after today would prefer never to set foot in a shop with him again.

fishie Wed 02-Sep-09 22:40:25

don't go to toy shop. talk about it, do you really want that? what would happen if we didn't buy it, we could do x. yes we can go to this shop but there will not be enough money for us to buy x AND a toy.

i don't think pocket money is possible for a 5yo, no idea of monetary scale.

fishie Wed 02-Sep-09 22:45:55

also i don't think giving in to that sort of wailing is a disaster. i take ds to charity shop and set down rules before - no soft toys, etc. if there isn't anything there then we go, with firm hand holding and stoic faces. if there is then i shell out and joy all round.

better than the kinder eggs which we have mutually agreed to avoid, renamed the crying eggs.

purpleduck Wed 02-Sep-09 22:46:56

My dcs started to get pocket money when my dd was 6. They get £10 a month. They have to make their bed each day, empty their lunch kits, do their bed time water and bring it back down in the morning, and a few other small chores.

If they WANT something THEY buy it, if they NEED it, we buy it.

DD got a chunk of money for birthday or something, and I let her spend what she wanted. She spent the lot, and was gutted that she spent it on junk and she had nothing left for the rest of the month. She is much, much more careful now.

ptangyangkipperbang Wed 02-Sep-09 22:47:00

DS3 is 5 and we have recently started giving him 50p week pocket money. He goes to the toy shop and decides whether to spend it then or save it for something bigger. He spent it immediately the first few weeks but is now saving it. He is very proud that he has £1.52 (DS1 gave him the 2p)smile

I do think it is giving him a tiny idea of the value of money and he now realises that magazines aren't worth weeks of pocket money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now