Talk

Advanced search

Centiles?

(11 Posts)
Fluffypoms Wed 02-Sep-09 14:32:36

Should babys height/weight and head circumference run alongside each other on the chart. does anyone know?

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Sep-09 14:35:06

Do you mean whether they follow the same centiles, or whether they should change at the same rate?

Either way, not necessarily. Unless there's any major fluctuation, or lack of growth, almost anything is normal. Generally the child's behavioural development is more significant.

Fluffypoms Wed 02-Sep-09 14:38:55

okay sorry didnt explain myself very well did I.
my dd weight between 75th and 91st
height 91st
head circumference 50th?
sounds silly but does that mean she has a little head?

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Sep-09 14:41:25

Yes. My ds1 also had a small head relative to his height and weight. He is now nearly 9, ahven't checked in years but he looks proportionate - albeit skinny. No worries about his intelligence! grin

Fluffypoms Wed 02-Sep-09 14:44:18

Ok thank you, DD having some test done re gross motor development and this is listed as investigation. and didnt really understand the chart.

MrsBadger Wed 02-Sep-09 14:45:14

NB until they can stand up and stand still properly (about 2.5 iirc) then height is a rubbish measure of growth as it' sso inaccurate

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Sep-09 14:48:19

I think the charts can be very scarey if not used properly. They have to provide one among many bits of information in order to provide an overall picture - not be the only basis for a decision.

Interestingly, my ds1 has always been somewhat behind his peers in his motor skills. But he gets there in the end, adn in any case we have always assumed that, as he is within the normal spectrum of ability, he is one of those children that can either do one thing or another - and his thing is brainyness.

Hope your dd is OK.smile

Fluffypoms Wed 02-Sep-09 14:51:14

Thank you, glad to hear your son doing well.
think my dds thing is brainyness too or gobbyness? hmm

mumofeve Wed 02-Sep-09 15:38:47

Ooooh Centiles drive me mad! I know so many people who have stressed about them for ages - me included. My DS (5mo) is between 91st and 98th centile in height, 50th in weight and 25th in head circ (tall and thin like I once was before having DCs grin!). When he went for his 6 month check they worried me sick about his head circ and questioned whether he had a small fontanelle (there's a frantic post from me on MN somewhere!). When I went back at 8 weeks, after worrying constantly for 2 weeks, they said there was no problem at all.
IMO, surely if a baby is very tall but of average weight, then it makes sense proportionally that the head will be average or below??? I think the main issue is that there is steady growth.
I also totally agree with MrsBadger, that measurements for height (AND head circ) are not exact in a baby! My HV reckoned my DS's head had shrunk at the time of his 6 week check!!! shock

Fluffypoms Wed 02-Sep-09 16:15:46

Crazy isnt it.. but as dd has other problems going on bit concerned. as the paeds have the dont want to worry you yet approach. so have said to me well nothing, but organized all sorts of tests. I would just rather Know what it is that they are looking for.hmm

mumofeve Wed 02-Sep-09 16:43:02

ooops - meant 6 WEEK check not 6 month! Fluffy - I would imagine they are looking to see if there is a steady growth. When I had the issue at 6 weeks, and did a bit of internet research (big mistake if you are trying not to worry about something!), I found that conditions that are being investigated as a result of head circ queries either relate to very big or flat heads, or small heads where there is little or no growth over a period of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now