Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When does a child get a watch?

(11 Posts)
bibiboo Tue 31-May-05 22:21:11

My cousin turns 5 next week and I have bought her a Barbie Teach the Time watch, but am now wondering if it was a waste. Is she too young for a watch? At what age do they become time aware?
DH tells me some of the children in his class (8yo) can't tell the time and not even ha;f of them wear watches. Should I get her something else instead?

Evesmama Tue 31-May-05 22:24:03

i was thinking of getting dd one(2 years) as many times through the day..she looks at her wrist and says "what time mammy"!!

bibiboo Tue 31-May-05 22:24:53

Aw bless! That's so cute!

morningpaper Tue 31-May-05 22:25:02

Evesmama: My 2 year old often wears her watch - she thinks she is very grown up! It also means I always know what the time is.

Evesmama Tue 31-May-05 22:27:25

aw that settles it
will take her into town at weekend to buy her one

digital or 'clock'?????

bibiboo Tue 31-May-05 22:37:13

They learn "clock" first at school, so I guess that would be the best option

Carla Tue 31-May-05 22:48:22

bibiboo, dd1 is 6, almost 7, and she can tell me exactly when someone's supposed to have turned up, but hasn't. I think that's the perfect age - if I'd had been more concentrated with her I'm sure she would've got there earlier.

Janh Tue 31-May-05 22:51:13

IIRC they start working on time in Reception (4-5) and certainly do a lot in Y1 and Y2 so I would say 5 is a perfectly good age to have a watch.

Most infants probably don't wear a watch at school but it doesn't mean they can't use one the rest of the time and I imagine she will be thrilled with it, bibiboo

bibiboo Wed 01-Jun-05 09:59:06

Thanks, I'll keep it then. Being such a girly girl, I could buy her a Barbie bin bag and she'd be thrilled though!

MarsLady Wed 01-Jun-05 10:06:25

when they can keep it on their wrist and not lose it sixteen billion times like my kids!

jamese Wed 01-Jun-05 10:35:01

I bought a Winney the Poo watch when she was only 16 months old - obviously I don't expect her to be able to tell the time for a few year yet - but she kept playing with DH watch every morning (and it was very expensive), so I bought her own one. She loves it - put it on every morning after got dressed - AND she hasn't played with DH watch since....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now