Talk

Advanced search

DS suddenly gone off solids. Not sure if down to teething or confused by intro' of finger food.

(5 Posts)
HarryB Tue 01-Sep-09 15:10:50

DS is almost 8 months old, and cut his first two teeth together 3 weeks ago. He has been a very good eater since we weaned him at 6 months and has been on 3 meals per day since 7 months. He has recently got the hang of finger food - gumming toast and swallowing the odd half soldier. However, the past couple of days, despite crying with hunger when he sees his food bowl, he doesn't seem to want to open his mouth and when I go near him with the spoon, he sucks his teeth IYSWIM. He'll take a few spoonfuls but will generally get quite distressed - so much so that I ended up giving him a bottle yesterday instead of tea.

Sorry to ramble, my questions really are: is this common when teeth are coming through? Should I carry on with his mealtimes and finger food as normal or replace with some milk for a few days? Or, could he now be confused between the spoon and finger food?

Many thanks smile

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Tue 01-Sep-09 15:56:50

If I was you, I'd put it down to his teeth, keep trying him with the solids, but when he refuses I'd give him a yoghurt and if worst came to worst, milk. Try giving him calpol 20 minutes before tea to see if his teeth ease off. I'm sure it will pass.

I'm having this problem with my DS who is 15 months. He's always been a food aholic, he never stops eating and loves finger food best. However, at the moment, he refuses a lot of foods, and won't let me feed him full stop. I will have to put him totally on to finger food for a while. He does seem to be struggling with his teeth- I think he's getting the back ones. He just will not chew properly suddnely.

HarryB Tue 01-Sep-09 16:11:42

Thanks Totally - love the name btw.

I think you could be right. I will try him on some yoghurt - think the cold might help too if it is his teeth.

Thanks smile

foxycat Tue 01-Sep-09 17:49:19

My DS (now 23 months) was and is a brilliant eater (very greedy!) but also refused most food when he was teething. As Totally says, the one thing he would eat with any enthusiasm when teething was yoghurt. He also drank lots more milk.

Hope your DS feels better soon - am sure it won't be long before he's back eating everything in sight!

HarryB Tue 01-Sep-09 21:37:20

I think you were both right. I tried him on some petit filous and he actually opened his mouth and put himself forward for more. I guess it's nice and easy to get down and cold too. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now