Talk

Advanced search

DS giving up night nappies at ripe old age of 5.5 and it's going pear-shaped. PLEASE give me the benefit of your experience

(16 Posts)
worriermum Mon 31-Aug-09 08:45:52

How do I do this? DS potty trained easily just before his 3rd birthday but his night nappies have always been wet. He's keen to give up the night nappy - and so am I - so I thought we'd give it a go. But he wets the bed every night and just sleeps on. I've tried lifting him - at 10.30, at 0030 but he can't wee - he's just too sleepy and confused. He's not drinking much after about 5pm. How do I change the cycle? I really dont want to put him back in nappies if we can help it - he's getting big and is embarrassed in front of his friends. Am at a loss and would really appreciate any advice or tips.

SlartyBartFast Mon 31-Aug-09 08:50:05

perhaps at this stage, going back to school, isnt such a wise move.
may be wait 6 weeks.
i dont think withholding drinks is a good idea,or lifting him.
he needs to know he needs to go, or is wet. does he have a potty under his bed, so he doesnt hve to make the dark trek to the bathroom?
or lights on around him.

i would suggest, just go for it.<<but not yet>>

throckenholt Mon 31-Aug-09 08:55:05

I would talk to him - ask him how he wants to do it.

My 6.5 year old is just getting dry (about half the time) - we have been through various phases of trying to go cold turkey and it didn't work. I have come to the conclusion that it happens when it happens - you can't rush it. On a practical note - my DS hides the nappies when his friends come to play.

His twin was also late - but has been mostly reliably dry for about a year now - again it just happened in its own time (I was beginning to think it never would !).

worriermum Mon 31-Aug-09 08:56:25

Hmm, you make a good point about school Slarty. And the potty too. Perhaps I should try the potty before abandoning this go? What do you think ? <<hopeful emoticon>>

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Mon 31-Aug-09 08:58:27

Message withdrawn

worriermum Mon 31-Aug-09 09:00:37

AAAAAHHHH throckenholt I dont know whether I'm relieved to discover that DS is not the last person in history to go dry at night or horrified to think I've got another year or so of this! I will talk to him - thank you for the steer

NinjaRain Mon 31-Aug-09 09:02:49

Ds can go dry through the night but i have to make sure that he drinks properally (a lot) during the day. And remember to go wee. But then he is only 4 1/2 and apt to forget if engrossed in something (uncommon event alert)

SlartyBartFast Mon 31-Aug-09 09:03:23

if he sleeps too deeply to wake himself, it will take time, but he will get there smile

FourArms Mon 31-Aug-09 09:10:38

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago, and got some helpful answers. We're now waiting for our referral to the paed clinic, and this is keeping DS1 happy to stay in nappies for the time being. Good luck!

FourArms Mon 31-Aug-09 09:24:25

Interesting to know you got nappies prescribed Leonie. Might have to ask for DS1. Two size 6 nappies a night don't come cheap!

PleaseMrsButler Mon 31-Aug-09 09:32:56

Firstly withholding drinks (too much) shrinks the bladder and exacerbates the problem.

Secondly it is not considered abnormal for a child under 8 not to be dry at night so don't fret yet

Don't push it he has to be physiologically ready. He needs to have developed the appropriate hormonal control to slow down urine production overnight so that his bladder can retain it. That can happen any time up to age 8. And if this hasn't happened yet it will be almost impossible for you to train him without accidents.

If you do want to try something (subtle) try cutting out red juices (if appropriate). Red/dark juices - especially blackcurrant contain bladdder stimulants. This is the first thing that will be done if a child is treated medically. Incidently 2 of mine were dry by night at the same time as they were by day. Neither would regularly drink red juices - they drank orange and apple... My first would only drink ribena - and was more difficult to train at night. I know that this observation holds true for a large number of my friends and their children.

But honestly don't fret yet. You are certainly not alone.

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Mon 31-Aug-09 11:09:57

Message withdrawn

worriermum Mon 31-Aug-09 15:12:42

This is so encoraging and helpful. Thank you all. I'm going to peruse that thread now, Four Arms

Blackduck Mon 31-Aug-09 15:58:51

check out the ERIC website as well for loads of info on this. As others have said it is more common than you think! My ds is like yours - when he sleeps NOTHING wakes him up and his body obviously hasn't matured enough yet (he is just 6) So he is in pull ups - for the most part this isn't an issue, he has sleepovers and his friends don't comment.....

throckenholt Mon 31-Aug-09 18:15:50

if it is any help I found the Lidl pull ups are best (and cheaper too !).

It isn't uncommon - particularly for boys I think - but is rarely talked about.

CheekyGirl Mon 31-Aug-09 21:14:13

This thread is SO reassuring!! My ds is 4.8 and not dry at night. We have tried a couple of times with no nappy and he just wets the bed and sleeps on regardless!

Size 6 nappies are too small for him, so we have to buy dry nites pyjama pants but they are so expensive. Any cheaper alternatives??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now