Talk

Advanced search

Another weird behaviour! Another worry!

(14 Posts)
margobambino Fri 28-Aug-09 22:21:04

Not being a native speaker, this time I don't even know how to describe this behaviour in English.
My DS (26 months) stretches his face and body muscles, espeacially the face, jaw and neck muscles. Can you tell me whether it makes sense or I have been able to describe? Do you know any other toddler doing something like this?

Vale Fri 28-Aug-09 23:44:18

When does he do that? Is he happy or nervous?
Does he think it is funny? Or is he pretending to be monster?

What nationality are you? I am Italian, and I noticed you wrote bambino. If you are Italian you can try to explain it to me in Italian.

mimsum Sat 29-Aug-09 00:28:10

it sounds like it's a tic - don't worry, lots of kids have them, in all likelihood it will go away in a few weeks/months

Vale Sat 29-Aug-09 00:36:03

Yes they all do funny faces!

Probably what is trying to say is:
- "I don't like it"

mathanxiety Sat 29-Aug-09 04:12:01

My Ds used to do this occasionally when he was about 3. He said he could make his ears pop by doing it.. Was it something like a yawn without the actual yawning breath?

Eveiebaby Sat 29-Aug-09 20:20:23

Do you mean something like a facial grimace? My DD is three and does this plus jumping up and down when excited. I'm not sure if it is typical behaviour of a toddler and I am starting to get concerned myself

margobambino Sat 29-Aug-09 21:58:30

It is something like this:
http://images.inmagine.com/img/pixtal/pt014/CD014016.jpg
Not exactly the same but quite similar. He is nowadays doing it especially when we are playing a copying game (I am copying whatever he does) but I now remember he was doing it sometimes when scribbling with crayons or markers whilst holding them tight and being quite harsh on the paper at the same time.
Hi Vale, I am not Italian but I do like your language and want to learn sometime.

margobambino Sat 29-Aug-09 21:59:17

ooops sorry I couldn't give the link:
here

Vale Sun 30-Aug-09 09:34:35

Hi,

Maybe he just needs to express his anger or frustation through facial expressions. My son 3yrs old instead express his anger throwing things at me!

I think that if you try to copy his facial expression, you might be able to undestand his mood, stretch your face and body muscles, how do you feel?

Or maybe he is pretending to be a monster. When my son turned two he started to pretend to be a scary monster or a ghost, and he still enjoys making us jump, (although he doesn't quite grasp the concept that he needs to surprise us!grin).

purepurple Sun 30-Aug-09 09:48:27

when DD was about this age, she would clench both fists, clench her teeth, shake with rage and declare "You're getting on my nerbs!"
It was hilarious. She was an early talker though, and able to articulate her feelings.
Maybe your DS is just expressing his?

mimsum Sun 30-Aug-09 12:30:56

honestly, it's a tic - really and truly when you've seen as many as I have they're completely obvious and what you've described definitely sounds like a tic

it's fine - lots of kids do them - most grow out of it, a very few don't

the worst thing you can do is draw attention to it - and whatever you do, don't copy it - he's not doing it to express his anger, or pretending or anything like that - he's probably completely oblivious to it

Vale Sun 30-Aug-09 17:48:45

So how do you deal with tics?
You just ignore them.

LaSchtroumpfette Sun 30-Aug-09 23:06:51

Message withdrawn

ShowOfHands Sun 30-Aug-09 23:15:04

Oh dd does this when excited. Sort of a rictus grin with taut neck muscles and shaking her head. Does it when scribbling too, often with a noise to accompany. It isn't a tic, just an affectation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now