Talk

Advanced search

HELP! First night without dummy not going well...

(18 Posts)
mamadiva Fri 28-Aug-09 19:51:53

Been trying to get 3YO DS off the dummy for months but just not working, anyway he was down to his last dummy and we said when it gets lost or broken that's it.

So earlier he bit through it and he is refusing to sleep without itdespite screaming to go to his bed everytime he gets out of it.

He's driving me mad what can I do? I've tried praising him for getting rid of it (he put it in the bin) and telling him that we will go gte him a shiney new fire engine tomorrow for bein a big boy etc which calms him down for a few minutes then he starts again.

I have an ear infection and tonsillitus so don't know how much more of this I can cope with tonight, it's only been an hour and I feel like screaming too

cocolepew Fri 28-Aug-09 19:55:27

Bicnod Fri 28-Aug-09 19:56:17

you poor thing no advice (DS is only 4 months old) but sending hugs x

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 28-Aug-09 19:57:57

It is hard but I think if you give in this time it will be harder next time.

mamadiva Fri 28-Aug-09 20:01:01

Oops just realised put out 2 thread sorry blush

I know he will eventually (hopefully) wear himself out with the screaming and throwing just wish it would be sooner rather than later, thank god I have you lot on MN to talk too I have to admit

I've given up smoking this week too and am now seriously wishing I had'nt LOL.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 28-Aug-09 20:02:39

giving up smoking is brilliant - stick with it

mamadiva Fri 28-Aug-09 20:08:59

That's the fifth time I have put him to bed now and he's just got up again but

Deep, calm and smoke free breaths under control

7 Days off it now quite pleased with myself if I do say so myself. LOL.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 28-Aug-09 20:17:36

You are doing great.

Best gift to yourself and your family.

Keep going with no-longer-has-a-dummy-ds.

mamadiva Fri 28-Aug-09 20:59:42

DS's voice still going strong as well as his tantrum tactics

So far he has threw himself against his wall, keeps rolling out of bed deliberately, punched himself in the face, headbutted me twice, screamed the bloody house down and tried to put my phone down the feckin toilet!

Confidence is draining slowly here, getting to the stage where I am actually tempted to put him in pram and make the 45 minute walk to bloody asda! angry

Jojay Fri 28-Aug-09 21:02:33

Poor you - having got this far it would be a shame to give him one now, otherwise he will have gone through all this for nothing.

Can you lie down in bed with him??

PinkTulips Fri 28-Aug-09 21:08:38

dd gave hers to santa last year at 3.10 and didn't complain a jot... she'd been fanatical about it up til then, hysterical without it and slept with it every night.

but was perfectly happy to swap it for a dolls house at xmas... she posted it to santa a few weeks before xmas with her letter and never once asked for it again, and she never stole her brothers again either which she did on a daily basis before.

just a thought seeing as xmas is only a few months away smile

Stinkyfeet Fri 28-Aug-09 21:15:16

It's so hard, I know! Could you go and sit with him, being soothing and reassuring, until he goes to sleep? That's what I did with both of mine - it gets easier each night and by the 3rd or 4th, they were fine.

mamadiva Fri 28-Aug-09 22:07:32

Well he's still screaming but FINALLY wearing down I feel like the worlds biggest bitch but it is worth it I know!

I'm scared to sit with him incase he starts relying on it because we tried that before and everytime we moved he woke up screaming again, no win situation!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 08:37:01

What happened in the end?

Maybe a special trip to buy something small for the big boy? A comic maybe?

mamadiva Sat 29-Aug-09 08:49:32

Hi again,

Well on the whole it went not to badly in the end, I suppose considering it is a 3 year habit (my own fault) he was rightly upset/aggitated and annoyed.

Finally at about 11pm he fell asleep without it! He was up through the night once asking for it and was a bit upset then but then slept until about 5 which is pretty normal for him so on the whole it went okayish.

Am going to go into town with him today and we will pick out a little toy car or something to reward him.

Thanks for getting me through it, hopefully as time goes by he will get used to not having it

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 09:09:24

It will get easier.

Mine took 3 nights to get used to no dummy but to be fair he was only 6 months old.

mamadiva Sat 29-Aug-09 21:16:44

Well am pleased to announce that tonight DS went to bed at 8pm with no fuss

Am so proud of him looks like the bribery paid off LOL.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 22:01:22

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now